I think DD is done nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I think DD has weaned herself. She will be 4 in August.

We may not have been 100% child-led 100% of the time, but I am posting this here because I was always committed to letting her nurse for as long as she liked and I feel that it was truly her decision to wean (as strong willed as she is, there is little she does that is not her decision!).

She went a week without nursing and when I told her it had been a week she said "that's because I am big now and I don't need mama milk anymore. I am saving it all for the baby" (even though we had talked about sharing "nursies" and I explained that my body would make as much as it needed to). Then she asked to nurse a couple of mornings later, nursed for a little longer than usual (for quite some time she has been nursing for just a couple of seconds per side), stopped and said that no milk was coming out. I told her that sometimes it just takes a little while, so she nursed a little longer, announced that she had gotten some milk, and was done. She hasn't wanted to nurse since then.

It is bittersweet. I am just over 5 months pregnant and it has been very painful to nurse for the past few months. In some ways I am relieved, but it is also such a big milestone. I can't believe that she is done, and I am a little teary eyed after typing all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Congrats to both of you! I teared up a little reading your post. My DS recently weaned himself at nearly 4. I am committed to CLW, but I don't especially enjoy nursing past 3 or so. My DD nursed until 5 and I was soooo ready for her to wean. I know I was not as patient w/ her as I should have been. I intended to be more patient w/ DS but then he weaned himself easily long before I expected. I wasn't sad, but it is definitely a change. Hugs!
#3 of 3 Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 AM

Hugs to you both! You've done great, mama! My dd will be 4 in November and is down to once every 2-3 days-- I'm at the point of wondering when she simply won't ask again. I feel fortunate that she and I are both coming to feel truly "done" around the same time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page