pumping milk after they self-wean - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I've been wondering lately about this question. My toddler is still nursing tons and at this rate won't be weaning for a while. I was wondering if anyone pumped milk for their kids to drink instead of giving them some other form of milk once they have weaned or are decreasing their breastmilk intake? I guess the milk gradually slows down as the child slows down. I seem to be as full of milk as always and I do still pump some milk for dd to have with her cereal and such. just wondering.

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 AM

For DD it could have worked because I was nursing DS at the time (so had plenty of milk). I just didn't find it necessary because DD was already over 4.

For DS, since he was over 5.5 not only was my milk supply WAY down, I don't think he would have gone for it at all. He was happy about weaning and wouldn't have wanted bmilk in a cup.

For a younger toddler (under 2-2.5) I would definately investigate the possiblity, but with an older *child* I think part of CLW is the child actually not *needing* any milk at that point. Oh, this would also obviously be different for a child w/a medical condition that could be helped by bmilk.

#3 of 5 Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Yes I think the occasional cup of pumped milk can be nice for some kids. Even when ds was 5 and had weaned a few months prior he still wanted some pumped milk. Mostly because he had a new baby sister.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 AM

I have been pumping since 2003, and I have always given the kids BM with their cereal, mac & cheese - pretty much anything that requires milk. They also drink cow's milk, too, and I see nothing wrong with giving them BM mixed in other food.

A few ears ago, I made my first daughter some mac & cheese with BM and left what she didn't eat on the counter. My husband came in from doing yard work, saw the leftovers, and immediately scoffed them down. He said, "Oh, Kirsten, what did you DO to this??? It's delicious!!!!!"

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#5 of 5 Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 PM
PJJ

about the mac and cheese.

IMHO, great idea about pumping and giving to your dc.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page