nm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I realize my last post wasn't really a questions...I guess i'm just looking for some support or been there done thats or other ideas???

Should I work on dh tonight and convince we should ttc a year sooner than planned? lol.

#3 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM

Is birth control that doesn't effect your milk supply not an option?

I don't understand how your doctor can know it will dry your milk up within 3 months?

#4 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM

My midwife told me that there are low-dose options that really don't affect milk supply. I don't know the specific name, as I was not interested in bc. Could you look into those?

Kristin, sahm to ds Avery (11-15-08) 3 raw fed
#5 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Is birth control that doesn't effect your milk supply not an option?

I don't understand how your doctor can know it will dry your milk up within 3 months?
Well in order to stop me from ovulating I need birth control pills with enough hormones in them to stop and that combination with breastfeeding apparently doesn't work...it suppresses the milk production and she said that generally within three months of being on them most women's milk dries up.

#6 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyMama View Post
My midwife told me that there are low-dose options that really don't affect milk supply. I don't know the specific name, as I was not interested in bc. Could you look into those?
I think that is the mini-pill and not an option for me because I need the estrogen and the estrogen is what will suppress the milk...is my understanding anyway...

#7 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM

It is a big risk that your milk will dry up - but not 100% certain. Some women keep producing milk through their pregnancy, and some women keep making milk on the pill - I hope you are one of them!
#8 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioGardener View Post
It is a big risk that your milk will dry up - but not 100% certain. Some women keep producing milk through their pregnancy, and some women keep making milk on the pill - I hope you are one of them!
Thanks, the whole thing just makes me queasy...

The thought that my milk might dry up and he still really wants/needs it makes me sad.

If it does dry up and he still happily wants to dry-nurse for a bit or whatever, i'm totally fine with it but still sad he's not going to get that yummy/healthy mama milk.

Another reason why this sucks is that most people don't really understand the big deal...my dr. didn't seem to think it was a big deal she even said "since he's just about done anyway..." *sigh*

#9 of 17 Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM

#10 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
hmm...I might ask my dr. about that...doesn't seem to have quite as a risk of milk decreasing...my only question/concern is that Dh and I def want to TTC summer '10 and i'm wondering if it is worth the cost/insertion/removal for a year when it's good for five years...

#11 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 03:00 AM

I have an acquaintance with the same condition that is on birth control for it. I don't know what shes takes but she successfully nursed her baby and started on the pill at 6 weeks. So its not a guarantee that he will wean..

Im sorry you have to deal with this. It really sucks.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#12 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM

I was on regular birth control pills after having my first and my milk didn't dry up. It didn't when I had the Mirena after my third either.
I usually have lots of milk though (didn't stop leaking until after 2 years with DD2 ) so that may be something to consider.

Leigh

#13 of 17 Old 06-18-2009, 06:01 PM

I'll second the Mirena. It's more popular in europe for suppressing endo than in the US, but it's definitely worth a try. I only had to pay the office visit copay for it, but that can certainly vary depending on if/what insurance you have.
#14 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ok, I have endo.....and I chart. Have you thought of charting so that you can predict when AF is due? Then 3 days before AF you start taking naproxen every morning and every night. This has worked for me since I was 14. Also, when I was on the mini pill (micronor) I did help emensely. It didn't make the dismenoreah go away completely, but it was nothing compared to what it had been.

I'm only making these suggestions as things to possibly try first, before pulling out the big guns?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#15 of 17 Old 06-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm also wondering if taking motillium would help with the milk supply while on BCPs?

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#16 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM

i haven't read the replies, but i take combination BCPs (loestrin), and they do not affect my supply whatsoever. granted, it is a low estrogen pill--i'm not sure which pill your doc wants you on--but i'm just saying, lots of women can take hormonal BC without losing their supply

lots can't, of course, but just thought i would share a positive story! i hope it all works out for you, mama.

ETA: just wanted to clarify/restate that my pill DOES contain enough estrogen to completely suppress ovulation. i do not ovulate, and most women on low dose estrogen pills have their ovulation suppressed. i would hold out hope you could nurse just fine on a combo pill. your doctor isn't right that it's inevitable to lose your supply.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#17 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
hmm...I might ask my dr. about that...doesn't seem to have quite as a risk of milk decreasing...my only question/concern is that Dh and I def want to TTC summer '10 and i'm wondering if it is worth the cost/insertion/removal for a year when it's good for five years...
if you have insurance, you may want to look into whether the insurance would cover it. I had to do some prodding because my insurance generally covers it only once every five years for birth control, but I called and asked if there was exception if it was used to treat a medical condition rather than for birth control...and there was! I mentioned this to my ob's office and they resubmitted it the paperwork (including the diagnosis of endo) and the insurance covered it.

In terms of the insertion and removal, aside from the fact that it was a visit to the doctor's office, I found it very easy and not very painful (certainly a lot less painful than endo!).

Feel free to PM if you'd like to chat more or have questions.

PS Have you used birth control pills in the past to treat your endo? In my experience, they are pretty standard as one of the first suggestions for treatment for endo, but I am one of several folks I know (and from what I've read) for whom they did not help at all. Plus I had lots of yucky side effects. The Mirena's not perfect (and also doesn't work for everyone), but--especially if you don't know if the birth control pill will work for your endo--it might be worth a try before the birth control pills as it doesn't have the same issues with lowering milk supply.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page