CLW comfort-nursing/bottle feeding question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've spent the last 3 nights nursing my 16 mo trying to craft this post in my head.

When my efforts/intention to bf for at least a year were officially threatened at my 6 week midwife's appt, I spent the next 5 months trying to regain my supply with 3 part feedings (nursing then supplementing with a bottle of formula, then pumping), breast compression, herbs, oats, blood tests and domperidone. Gave up (milk never came back) at around 7 months, content with supplementing with homemade formula from a bottle after nursing first, every time. ('content' is an over exaggerated word. I was devastated to not bf.)

Although I got a milk blister about two months ago, and every now and then I think I see a bit of milk on my nipple, my dd has gotten most of her nutrition from 'milky that fills her belly' (formula or milk from a bottle), after we nurse a bit first. She loves nursing! She's been slow to eat solids, has a few sensory issues (doesn't like pureed or smooth foods or sweets like fruit!) but nothing that needs official intervention (not without me asking too!).

At 13 months I switched her complex baby formula to whole milk plus CLO and Flax seed or hemp seed oil for constipation. At 16 months, she still drinks about 24-28 oz a day, even though I offer her good nutritious and sensory pleasing foods every 2-3 hours, plus water in cups with straws.

Here comes my question: we comfort nurse first then I give her a bottle of cows milk in a bottle. Mostly/usually for naps and to bed. I've been questioned on when I'm giving all this up. If I were bfing, I'd feel more confident that the breastmilk my dd was getting from the tap would eventually dry up or my dd would wean herself... but because my tap is/has been pretty dry and she gets full on milk from a bottle, I question if she will ever give this up. I don't mind nursing for a few years, I know it is warm and safe and mommy and (hopefully) a bit sweet, but will she still self-wean if the tap has always been dry?

Thank you for this forum and for supporting my efforts to feed my babe the best way I could (hoping next time could be 'better!').
#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Eventually she will self wean

-Angela
#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 AM

ds is 16 mos old. he is also bottle fed.. formula not cows milk though. i have no intention of weaning him. from a nutrition perspective i do not think his diet is sufficient enough for him to get the nutrition he needs.. formula is a BM substitute (and for some reason people have a hard time processing this next part) and should be treated as such. a EBF child would continue to nurse for comfort and to supplement a diet not able to consistently supply adequate nutrition.

from a 'mommy instincts' perspective i think it is healthier to let ds gradually wean from the bottle. as he gets older he is getting less bottles... of course since we have always bottle fed on demand he still gets (and has always gotten) more bottles then most kids his age. sometimes he will eat 2oz at a time sometimes he will eat more. we still offer bottles in a way similar to a nursing mom would offer the breast... it is always available if he wants it (we try to have one available where he can get to it and if not he directs us to the kitchen and we make one) and just to complete my shocking and totally against most current advice feeding policy -- if he wakes up at night he gets a bottle.

lately he has not been wanting a bottle as soon as he wakes up. i make it but he is not particularly interested. the formula cans are lasting longer and longer. occasionally ds will get a bottle when we are out and total strangers will come up and ask me how old he is and then wonder about the extent of our dental coverage (which btw is quite good but has little to do with our decision not to wean at 12 months)

i was just thinking i should post about this in dental b/c i think not weaning him from the bottle and giving him formula at night add up the mother of all dental don'ts. i am not sure what to do about that though.
#4 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'm just so confused on this whole bottle/milk thing. I was so hoping to bf so now adding in just comfort nursing and bottle feeding and a picky eater, I got stumped.

We do the nurse/bottle on demand too. Although we also try water first or delay 10 minutes with toys or something, depending on the situation (stressful/new situation asking for nursing/milk, she gets it!). I'm trying to get her 'hungry' for a meal, instead of snacking (on good things) all the time.

We love nursing so I don't want to let it go yet. Regarding dental stuff: I was under the impression that the health/strength of your teeth was determined prior to birth so I'm not as concerned about feeding (though I don't let her suck and fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth, I feed her and put the bottle away before she falls asleep).

Thank you for the replies so far. Any other stories or support or... would be great. I appreciate it. I learn so much here.
#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 AM

oops! wrong thread!
#6 of 8 Old 07-01-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Alegna, Yes, I've noticed this even though I had the image of shoveling spoonfuls of pureed foods into my kid's mouth, instead, she self-feeds whatever we're eating. I try to have us sit at the table and eat 'meals' but sometimes while trying to make dinner or return an email, I'll let her 'snack' on cheddar bunnies or...

Please excuse my inability to read into your reply, how does snacking-patterns-not-meals fit into my CLW/bottle-feeding question. I'm trying to make sure I learn everything since this is a new situation for me.

Thank you!!!!!
#7 of 8 Old 07-02-2009, 11:24 AM

oops- looks like I replied on the wrong thread! off to edit

-Angela
#8 of 8 Old 07-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I read somewhere - don't remember exactly - that there can be a need for sucking, for comfort rather than food, that wanes eventually, on an individual basis. At 16 months, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

nak

Mom of two girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page