Growth on nipples after weaning (x-posted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-01-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
Sorry if this is tmi...I've asked everyone I know to ask, but am not satisfied with the answers I've received. My son stopped nursing on my left side in June...shortly after that I started getting what looked to be a scab on my nipple...it started out flesh color, then got dark and hasn't grown any more...doesn't even cover the whole nipple, but isn't going away either. I've talked to my LLL leaders who've searched everywhere they know to and haven't found too much on it...I've also seen 2 dermatologists, 1 of whom is very pro-breastfeeding and both have diagnosed it to be sebhorric keratosis (sp?)--basically a benign growth that is unusual to be right on the nipple b/c usually it's on the areola. The pro-b/fing derm. suggested I wait and see if it gets larger or I could just have it frozen off w/liquid nitrogen...I was leaning toward freezing it off b/c I am 19 weeks pregnant and very concerned it will affect b/fing the next baby. Now, my son has fully weaned and I am starting to get another flesh colored "growth" on my right nipple! What the heck? Has anyone ever had this? Heard of it? Have suggestions? I've done the Lanishoh, olive oil, etc to try to soften it and it hasn't done anything. I'm just worried about nursing the next baby. Thoughts?

Mama to (5/04), : (8/05), : (6/07) & : (1/10)
since 7/02 :
#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 AM

I'd go to your pro b/fing dermo again and see what they can find - I've looked up my books and can't find anything, but I wouldn't wait too long especially with a wee one on the way. Is it ok if I contact someone I know about this - I think she'll know something at least - let me know if you don't mind.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,
Actually, the 'scabs' or whatever they were are now gone! I noticed after putting Lansinoh on for a few days that they were flaky, so I just keep putting it on morning and night and eventually the scabs came off and all is good, no sensitivity or anything! Guessing it's due to weaning after all b/c one started on my right side too, the breast that my son just recently weaned from. So, the whole thing is weird, but thankfully I don't need to worry about it anymore!

Mama to (5/04), : (8/05), : (6/07) & : (1/10)
since 7/02 :
#4 of 6 Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Well yes a bit bizarre - but I'm delighted for you :

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This happened to me, too. This is the first I've heard of anyone else experiencing it!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Happened to me too and midwife said it was yeast. It went away so this is all that mattered!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page