"Drying Up" Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long does it take for your milk to go away?

When DS was 12 months I returned to work and made the decision to partially wean him. Now he only nurses at night before bed, first thing in the morning, and anytime during the night that he wakes up (maybe 1-2 times a week). All things considered I'm pretty happy with where we're at- I'm no longer engorged or leaking, so I'm functional at work, but DS is still getting some BM. I was planning on continuing this indefintely.

Occasionally we've had to skip a session- last Friday DH and I were at a charity event and grandma was babysitting, so no nursing before bed. Ditto for last night when I had to work late.

The last couple of days it seems like DS isn't nursing for as long as usual. To be fair, he is also very stuffed up and coughing with a cold, so that could be a factor too. He might not be able to breathe and nurse at the same time.

But I can't help but wonder..... is my milk drying up? How would I know? Can I sustain our current pattern indefinitely?

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM

I don't know the answers, I figure it varies from mother to mother. My milk dried up when DD started nursing only 1-2 times a day. My friend hasn't nursed in over two years and she still has a tiny bit of milk she can express.

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2009, 01:39 PM

My DD stopped nursing at 21 months (was nursing just at wakeup and bedtime at that point), and I was able to express a little out for about 9-10 months afterwards (I would check every so often in the shower just to see if there was anything still there, kind of like a science experiment I'd report to my husband - there's STILL something in there! )...but I would agree that every person is different. I woulnd't think that skipping 2 sessions in close proximity would cause it so quickly, but I'm not an expert.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page