If you did 100% CLW, when did your child wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you completely left it up to your child to nurse as long as he/she wanted, at what age did they wean?

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#2 of 38 Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Willow weaned when she was 4.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#3 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 04:33 AM

DD CLW at 4.5years and DS is still going strong at 4.25 years - I doubt he'll be weaning soon!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#4 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

The only child I really did CLW with weaned at age 1.5. My other children nursed until age 5+, but some people wouldn't consider what I did with them CLW- I night weaned them during their second year of life, put frequent limitations on nursing once they were well into toddlerhood, and often said "no" to nursing when they were preschoolers.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#5 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM

DD was 3.5, although she did nurse out of curiosity one last time at age 4

DS was just over 5.5; he had not been 'nursing' for longer than a few seconds at a time since age 5 but still liked to ask out of comfort.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#6 of 38 Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
DS was a month past his 5th birthday. DD was a few months past her 7th.

I consider what you did to be CLW, Anne. Setting some limits as needed isn't an issue IMO. Nursing is a two person relationship, and the mother's needs count too. I too set some limits as needed. If 3 year old DD asked when I was in the middle of supper preparation, she could wait.

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 38 Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 PM

My DD weaned a few weeks shy of her 4th bday. The time really goes by fast, believe me.
#8 of 38 Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM

dd1 went to four years plus one month

dd2 went to 2 years

dd3 is still nursing at 2 years plus three months

Heavily tattooed and Dready Mama to my girls. YES we are STILL NURSING! love to and
#9 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ours may not have not been what some consider complete child-led weaning because I did get pregnant while my olders were nursing. DS nursed through 2 pregnancies and weaned a couple months past 4. DD1 nursed through my pregnancy with DD2 and is almost weaned now, very rarely nurses. She's 39 months. 14 month old DD2 is still going strong, and I'm pregnant again but I hope she'll continue nursing as her siblings did.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#10 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. I was just looking for stories from moms who'd btdt.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#11 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 09:49 PM

DS was pretty close to a full CLW. He weaned at 5.75 years.

DD had many more restrictions. She "weaned" at 4 years, 2 months but continued trying occasionally until she was 5 years, 4 months.

Oddly enough, both kids were fully weaned in May (different years, different ages)

#12 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 PM

DS1 weaned at 3.5 when DS2 was 1yo. DS2 weaned at 3. DS3 is going strong, but he's only 4mo! Hopefully we've got another 2-3 + years ahead of us! I too put some limits on them as they got older, but not to encourage weaning, just to survive. Like, when I was pregnant with DS2, I told DS1, who was almost 2 that we could nurse to sleep and then not again until the sun came up. I just couldn't handle night nursing anymore. But he was surprisingly OK with it, and he continued to nurse for another 1.5 years after that.
#13 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 PM

4.75 years for DD.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#14 of 38 Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Adam is 3 years and 11 months old and nursing furiously. Don't know how long he will continue.

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~
#15 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 12:52 AM

A little past 2.5 for my DD. She nursed through my whole pregnancy with DS and for a few months after he was born. I do think she might have nursed longer had my milk not diminished so much in pregnancy. But I didn't put restrictions on her, so I do consider it CLW.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#16 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 03:18 PM

18 months. He got 4 molars at once and despite giving him every opportunity to come back to the breast, he was done for good. Surprised the heck out of me, and I posted here for help.

First baby nursed until 19 months when she lost interest. This was a more gentle weaning and more how I imagined CLW. She also nursed or pretended to nurse on occasion between the ages of 2-4, but only very rarely. I still consider her to have weaned at 19 mos.

I am not a SAHP, which may have contributed to the age at weaning, at least for #1. For the second baby . . . those molars just ended nursing. I have never put any limits on nursing, except for a brief period when the second baby was about a year old and I had a broken rib and couldn't get up often in the night. It did not significantly impact our nursing relationship.
#17 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 04:07 PM

I did CLW with all three of my children. DS Just kinda lost interest once he started eating solids, only nursing at night; and weaned himself at 27 months. DD1 nursed regularly until 2 days after her third birthday, then just looked at me and said, "I don't want it anymore."; never nursed again after that. DD2 will be turning 5 next month, and still nurses whenever the mood strikes her...usually when she's tired, and always if she is upset or hurt.
#18 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 PM

DS1 nursed until about 6 weeks past his 4th birthday. He found out I was pregnant with ds2 and decided that I "needed that milk for the baby." I assured him he was welcome to continue, but he decided he was done. DD nursed until just past her 2nd birthday, when I was in my 3rd trimester with DS2. I'm not sure how much the pregnancy factored in, though - she was never as attached to nursing as the boys and seemed really ready to move on. It wasn't about the taste or lack of milk - she just told me nursing was for babies and she wasn't a baby anymore. She tried once after DS2 was born, but didn't really remember how. DS2 weaned when he was 3 years and 4 months old, but I urged him too. I don't think he would have lasted much longer even if I hadn't.
#19 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM

I did with 5 of 6 (the first was only 17 months when sib was born).

They all weaned at different times, basically right around 2 years and eating mainly solids.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#20 of 38 Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 PM

At 5.5 DD is well on her way to giving up (*she says hopefully* ). But I have had almost no milk for ages. And I do time limit her pretty strictly now.

nothing more to say I guess :
#21 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM

DS turns 5 tomorrow and as far as I know he's not done yet . He hasn't nursed in a week or so but I'm sure will again. Generally when he is feeling sad or tired/ cuddly he asks. But we also have pretty big limits and have for years.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#22 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM

DS self-weaned a month or two shy of his 3rd birthday. We followed the "don't ask/don't deny rule".

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#23 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM

DD nursed constantly until she was 2 year old. Then she nursed mostly only during the day and maybe once at night for a while. When she was 3, she still nursed a lot, including NIP (and she looks a year older than her age). By 4, she still nursed during the day but less NIPing except after preschool. By 5 she started slowing down on nursing and went to pretty much just morning and night with an occasional daytime nursing session. By 5.5 she started skipping days sometimes, but usually nursed for a minute or two at night. Then I thought she was completely done (I'm sure I'm out of milk) by the time she was 6. She is now 6 years, 4 months and wanted to nurse last night for a couple minutes even though she has had "milkies" in a couple of months.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#24 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD1 was a couple weeks shy of her 4th B-Day. DD2 was 2.75 years.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#25 of 38 Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 PM

DS was about 3.5 although he is 4 years 2 months now and probably still askes about once a month or so at bedtime, but only gives it a second and then lays back down. I think he is just testing me to see if I will let him. DD turned two in july and she is going strong. DS slowed down at three so I sort of expect the same thing from DD.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#26 of 38 Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM

I needed this. I don't know anyone who had nursed passed three or so. My dd just turned 5 and still nurses. She is sweet. She only wants to nurse about every three days but then she nurses a bunch for the next 24 hours. Cracks me up actually. My other dd clw with some restrictions at 4y 8m.

Good to know there are other mammas nursing older children!
#27 of 38 Old 10-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
6y3m, the summer after kindergarten.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#28 of 38 Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM

My oldest ds CLW at 4 yrs 3 1/2 mos
My second ds is still nursing at 4 yrs 1 mo. he seems to be slowing, just like his older brother did, he generally only nurses in the morning and at bedtime, somedays he'll skip nursing altogether and some days he'll want more but I see the general pattern his brother took.

My "baby" is going strong at 17 months
#29 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 AM

DD is 4yrs 8mo and going strong. I tried to push her in September. I hyped it up all summer that in the fall she'd be going to preschool, she'd be a big girls and no more nursing.

She is way too smart though. When the time came, she said she didn't commit to this. She said MAYBE she would stop. So, I still have a nursing dd. She will be 5 in February and I'm really thinking that's my cut off. However, she will not give up easily. She asks to nurse in the morning when she wakes up (we cosleep), at naptime and at bedtime.

AP Single Mumma and full time pre-nursing student to 2 girls: B (8) and C (4.5).
#30 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM

A few months shy of 6 years. She just turned 13 Friday

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page