has anyone had a child who weaned themselves around age 2? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Or is that too early? I haven't nursed her in 3 days now and the only reason she nursed 3 days ago was because I asked her if she wanted to. And she latched on and nursed for about 20seconds before running away saying, "see sisters. go play." She's been nursing once or twice every few days for about maybe 2 months now but she's really starting to stretch out that time even more. She's not going to be 2 until the first week in January. My impression of child led weaning was that it happened USUALLY at a much later age. She really seems uninterested in nursing. And to be honest, that's okay with me. I'm feeling maybe like our nice time nursing is over. But I wanted to get her through cold and flu season with some nice antibodies from nursing because she's got reactive airway and I feel like she'll be sicker without nursing. Is this too early to wean? She's my last child and I won't nurse ever again and I'm conflicted on what I feel is following her signals versus asking her to nurse more often just for the sake of getting her to age 2 and then beyond into "safer" more germ-free weather.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#2 of 8 Old 12-22-2009, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand--- why are you not offering?

Don't offer, don't refuse is considered to be a weaning method--- especially for younger children (under 2-2.5).

I, personally, would keep offering (In fact, I would be sure to offer multiple times a day) if I wanted my child to experience CLW. If you are happy with having weaned her at this point you don't *need* to continue nursing simply to meet an arbitrary definition. You make a good point about cold & flu season, though!

#3 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 AM

It depends on what they want.
At 13 month old my dd decided she was done. Up to that point she always asked (running up and squeezing the side she wanted to eat on), but I offered for about a week and after a week of being bitten out of frustration that I was trying to get her to nurse when she obviously didn't want to I figured she was weaned. She's never asked since.
#4 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katze View Post
It depends on what they want.
At 13 month old my dd decided she was done. Up to that point she always asked (running up and squeezing the side she wanted to eat on), but I offered for about a week and after a week of being bitten out of frustration that I was trying to get her to nurse when she obviously didn't want to I figured she was weaned. She's never asked since.
Sounds like a nursing strike. Is she using a lot of sippy cups or pacis or other ways of meeting her "sucking needs?"

From kellymom.com:

When babies abruptly stop nursing, it's a nursing strike - not weaning. Babies rarely wean on their own before 18-24 months, and self-weaning is almost never abrupt.

Will baby nurse while asleep or just waking up? This is usually one of the best times to try. You also might try nursing lying down or while walking around. See also the tips at the top of this page for persuading baby to nurse.

As long as baby is not nursing as often as before, you'll want to express milk to maintain your supply, stay comfortable, and reduce the risk of plugged ducts and mastitis.
Don't miss the great links below about nursing strikes."

Also from LLL http://www.llli.org/FAQ/strike.html

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#5 of 8 Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with TiredX2. Not offering is a weaning technique. If you want her to wean, continue to not offer. If you would like her to continue nursing and truely child led wean, offer to nurse her multiple times a day.

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#6 of 8 Old 12-29-2009, 01:09 AM

yes. Just after turning 2yo my dd weaned herself.
I would offer and she would only nurse briefly and then before I knew it she was saying no when I offered. I still had milk for a while afterward but it was a gradual decline (frequency and duration).
#7 of 8 Old 12-29-2009, 06:25 AM

I second TiredX2 I would keep offering, nurse somewhere where she's not going to be distracted by her sisters, set up a nursing corner with soft lighting and music comfy cushions etc.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#8 of 8 Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 PM

I noticed the same thing in my DS. He is 2 and 1/2 and he just started nursing once a day in the morning. If we slept late and didn't have time, it wasn't a problem to just give him something to eat instead. I would offer several times a day, but if he was playing he wasn't interested. He mostly only asked when he wanted to cuddle in the morning. But if he had something he wanted to get up and get or do...he wouldn't want to nurse in the am. I thought about it and decided I wanted a more official weaning, if that was what was happening anyways. (I also had some health issues. I.E. excema on the nipples is NOT comfortable when nursing)
So... we talked about it, had NiNi's that morning, and then had one big weaning party celebration! He totally understood and was in to it. The first morning after the weaning party, he rolled over and we cuddled. He talked about how fun his weaning party was and remembered making his weaning cake. He got gifts too, which he was excited about playing with.
Sorry this reply is so long...this was just a couple of day ago...
He has done beautifully, which makes me think it was perfect timing. It hasn't been as easy for me. It has been a little hard emotionally. I LOVE nursing. I LOVE that motherly feeling of nourshing and loving your LO. The good news is now, I can't wait to get preggers and do it again!!!

Married to a rad dad since 2005! Mommy to DS since 6-24-07! TTC #2 for 1 1/2 years...Joyfully EXPECTING #2 on 9/11!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page