When did you first offer your child non-mama milk (cow, goat)? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is 23 mo and has only had breast milk and water to drink. My DH is pushing to offer her cow or goat milk (he is open to either) and we have a raw cow milk source available to us. I'm not a fan of substituting cow/goat milk for human milk, so I really don't see the point of introducing it while she is still nursing pretty much on demand. She does eat quite a bit of yogurt and cheese. SO I'm wondering when other CLWers started offering milk that was not self-produced, and why.

Thanks!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#2 of 12 Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When my DS started to only nurse at nap time and a night, I started offering organic whole milk. It was more to make sure he got the calcium and fat he needed. He went back and forth from the cup to the breast fine until he decided he was done nursing.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#3 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM

my DD (self-weaned at 37 mo, not fully CLW because i got pg and had to limit her nursing) i offered her cow milk at 15ish months, she started drinking one cup a day when my milk dried up due to pregnancy at 18 months - my DS is 19 months and drinks 1-2 oz of organic cow milk most days, he just started drinking it in the past few weeks, he asked for it because DD always gets it.. i figure 1-2 oz isn't going to replace BM (esp since he nurses for about an hour before he drinks that)

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#4 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. Can someone tell me - is offering non-human milk considered a form of weaning or just something that is developmentally appropriate?

Thanks!

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#5 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 01:16 PM

I saw it as a small step towards weaning. I introduced an occasional (not every day by any means) small cup of cows milk at just over 2 years. It was purely selfish because at that stage dd was wanting to nurse ALL the time (like 30-40 times in 24 hours and not wanting to let go in between). It was a bribe to get an hour of being left alone essentially.
She weaned at 5.5years though so I don't think that introducing milk had a big impact at all.
#6 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanApplesauce View Post
Thank you for your replies. Can someone tell me - is offering non-human milk considered a form of weaning or just something that is developmentally appropriate?
I personally feel it's a form of weaning (maybe others will disagree?)

I have no plans to introduce non-mama milk pretty much ever. But that's party because we're vegan & I feel that if the child nutritionally needs any milk/milk substitute, it should be breastmilk... once they wean from the breast I don't feel that they need (nutritionally) any milk. Although I will allow him soy/nut/seed milk just for "enjoyment" (same way as DH & I will occasionally have a small cup of some veg. milk), I don't plan to make it a regular part of his diet. The exception would be if he weaned early due to some other factor (pregnancy or medical reasons for example).

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#7 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 03:17 PM

I started offering around 9 mo. It wasn't a form of weaning for us, ds was way too attached to breastfeeding to be satisfied by cow's milk. He would take a couple of sips with his meals (I didn't offer at every meal). He wasn't really interested in it. He weaned at 4y/o.
I guess it depends on every child. Dd is not a comfort nurser, so I'll be more careful with her.

caffix.gif

#8 of 12 Old 12-26-2009, 08:41 PM

I do not think non-human milk for a toddler is a form of weaning any more than any other food/drink.. i think of it as just another food/drink .. no different from eating yogurt or cheese or having some ice cream or something.. now, if you were giving milk instead of nursing, or every so many hours or something it might be more like weaning.. but otherwise i don't see why a diverse diet that includes milk is a way of weaning any more than a diet that does not include non human milk..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#9 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 02:28 PM

With my twins, no dairy crossed their lips until they were about a year old. I don't remember either of them drinking milk until they were older - maybe closer to 2. Neither ate much in the way of solids and it seemed silly to me to use up their non-breastmilk calories on something that didn't give them much in the way of nutrients beyond what my milk provided. Our Dr. at the time completely disagreed and told me when they were 2 that they should be drinking 24oz of cow's milk every day (that was about the time we switched drs)! And they nursed forever, so introducing cow's milk didn't seem to have an impact!

DD#2 (currently 13 mos) had sips of cow's milk several times. We're a lot less concerned with avoiding foods until a certain age this time around (honestly, I have to laugh at how rigid I was the first time - and I thought I was a fairly relaxed Mama!). She recently discovered Chai Tea as DS loves milk mixed with a small amount of decaf Chai, and screams for it now. I treat it like any other food - I don't want her filling up on one food source, so I won't give her endless amounts, but I don't worry it's going to replace my milk.

Offering ANY food or drink beyond breastmilk is weaning. That's the actual definition of weaning, even though us in the US tend to mean a complete end to nursing when we say "weaning". Giving cow's milk, IMO, doesn't make a child any more or less likely to wean completely than, say, orange juice or scrambled eggs. It's just another calorie source. For formula-fed babies, cow's milk is the usual progression from formula once their bodies are developed enough to handle the less processed milk. But some people never drink non-human milk, and are perfectly healthy. There's no reason to introduce it at all. If you replace nursings with cow's milk, then, sure, you're using it to encourage weaning (but you can do the same thing by offering a meal of solids - it's not the milk, it's using it as a replacement). If you offer it just like another food or drink, then it's probably not a big deal.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#10 of 12 Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
I do not think non-human milk for a toddler is a form of weaning any more than any other food/drink.. i think of it as just another food/drink .. no different from eating yogurt or cheese or having some ice cream or something.. now, if you were giving milk instead of nursing, or every so many hours or something it might be more like weaning.. but otherwise i don't see why a diverse diet that includes milk is a way of weaning any more than a diet that does not include non human milk..
I really don't remember when I first introduced cow's milk. I know that I waited until DS was at least 12 months before introducing yogurt and cheese. DS still doesn't drink much cows milk, and that's his choice.

Casey
Mama to DS 2/22/06 and DS 3/27/09 :
#11 of 12 Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 AM

We don't do any other type of milk, we don't feel that it is necessary, one has CLW and other is still nursing but there is no necessity for any other milk other than mama's, given that the kids have a very well balanced diet then we just do like most of all the other mamals in the world and have no dairy products in our diet after weaning.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#12 of 12 Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
that:

Giving milk is what is it, if you are using it to substitute BM, then it is a substitute. If you are using it as introduction to new tastes and flavorus, then it's just a snack.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page