Do your older kids tell their friends they nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-27-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My 4YO frequently tells her friends how she has her 'mother's milk'. Is this normal? We don't know anyone else who has nursed passed the age of 1, so I don't think they believe her. I only nurse her at night now, and never in public or in front of friends. I don't want her to be made fun of or to have any bad memories associated with nursing as an older child.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#2 of 24 Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD nursed until she was almost 6. When she was 4, she went to a co-op preschool and we nursed in a big chair at the back of the classroom every day after class. She was the only one who did this, and the other kids who were waiting to be picked up often came over to watch because they didn't remember nursing. She never seemed bothered by their curiosity - it was just normal to her. And they never teased her about it. It was just something DD did.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#3 of 24 Old 12-29-2009, 06:22 AM

DD never told anyone, but ds's best friend still nurses too so they can talk together about it!! It's really cute actually they way they discuss that sort of thing together, they didn't know each other at all until they went to nursery and became bfs immediately - I like to think that the bfing brings them together - lol, but I wouldn't bother about it personally - ds is 4.5 in a couple of months

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#4 of 24 Old 12-30-2009, 04:46 PM

It never seemed to come up when my kids were older nurslings. They didn't hide it, they also just didn't bring it up. I think, though, that DS probably would have actively avoided telling people he nursed when he was in kindergarten.

#5 of 24 Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM

No, I don't think she's that specific about it. I think my 4 year old phrases it differently, I think she says "Mummy gives me milk". She has specified to other adults and has received some prett uncalled for out of line responses, but my daycare provider deals with it really effectively (the only situations where that's happened is when I've been at work) so I don't think it's caused any lasting damage.
#6 of 24 Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Mine don't. They are 6 and 7 and in school. They never really talked about it though, at least not to anyone outside the family.
#7 of 24 Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 AM

I've heard my daughter mention to people about how she gets her mommy's milk when she sees other kids drinking milk!
#8 of 24 Old 01-21-2010, 04:29 AM

My daughter told our neighbors at 4yrs and her best friend at 6yrs. Their responses were "really?", "still?", and "I breastfed too!". We had no problems.
#9 of 24 Old 01-21-2010, 01:07 PM
JMJ

My only child is still under a year, so I don't have any experiences with this yet, but when she's old enough that she's the only one in her age group nursing round (except other LLL kids), I would love it if she could talk freely about it if she wished. There's no reason to be ashamed of it. I know we all eventually learn that certain topics of conversation don't go well with certain people, but I wouldn't be the one to impose this.
#10 of 24 Old 01-21-2010, 07:39 PM

DS (3 yo) has never mentioned it to his friends, as far as I know. But it doesn't really come up in conversation either. Most of our close friends know anyway, so the parents would not be surprised.
#11 of 24 Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 PM

My son just turned 5 and we are still nursing (morning, night and occasionally for comfort during the day)

I have explained to him not to mention it and I feel really sad about having to do that
I told him it was mommy/son time, a special time for just us and no one else.

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#12 of 24 Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 PM

My 4 yo insisted to her daycare teacher that she was still nursing. The teacher then asked me about it in a "I have a funny story" kind of way. Other than that, I don't think it really came up. There was a context in the daycare. They were looking at pictures of nursing animals and the teacher said something about some of them having done that when they were little babies and DD saying "I still do!"

Recently we had a "sibling attended childbirth class" which I noticed was taught by an IBLC. After the doll had the baby she put it to the breast and asked if the new baby would BF, I told her that my now almost 7 yo could tell her ALL ABOUT breastfeeding, where in DD volunteered that she nursed until she was 4. But again, it was contextual and I prompted it. I also mommy-led weaned her at 4.5. I think she'd still be nursing now at 7 and she has some idea that once milk comes back she'll get some!

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#13 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 12:26 AM

DD1 nursed until she was six, but she was (and is) a very anxious and introverted young lady so she never talked about it and we never did it in front of anyway outside the family. DD2 once told a friend that Annie still drank mummy's milk and I gritted my teeth all ready with explanations about how it was okay... but they assumed she meant DD3! (who is not called Annie, go figure).

Annie '02, Juliet '04, Natalie '07, Maggie '08, Theodore 11/8/10.
#14 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 03:12 PM

My oldest isn't quite four and hasn't said anything yet that I know. But really, I think the only people she'd tell would be her grandparents, and all four of them know. I think her teacher's would tend to think she was making it up or remembering and her friends wouldn't get it, unless they too are still nursing.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#15 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

My dd is 4.75 and still nurses every night & morning too. She doesn't usually talk about it. When it has come up with friends, the main issue is that though many of our friends nursed for a long time, none of them are CLW, so their kids are a bit confused (along the lines of...but you told me I was too big to nurse when I turned 3 or 4 or whatever)....but it hasn't caused any major problems that I know of...
#16 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My nearly 4 yr old mentions it to friends, no biggie. But, I had to laugh when she told her uncle. She only nurses at home now, usually before bed. She said "I will get boobies at home". I don't think he can even conceptualize nursing someone this "old" so his response was that he didn't think she would have boobies for a few years. I laughed to myself, but didn't bother explaining.

Amy

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#17 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
My nearly 4 yr old mentions it to friends, no biggie. But, I had to laugh when she told her uncle. She only nurses at home now, usually before bed. She said "I will get boobies at home". I don't think he can even conceptualize nursing someone this "old" so his response was that he didn't think she would have boobies for a few years. I laughed to myself, but didn't bother explaining.

Amy

Amy

#18 of 24 Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post
They were looking at pictures of nursing animals and the teacher said something about some of them having done that when they were little babies and DD saying "I still do!"
that is so cute

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#19 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 02:01 AM

I don't think ds ever mentioned it to his friends. Simply because it was so normal why would he. One day I told him that his friend didn't get mommy milk and ds's jaw hit the floor. He looked at me like I was nuts. He refused to believe me. I guess he thought all other 5 year olds nursed.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#20 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Hi, this is my first post to this board. My daughter will be 7 in April and still nurses at night and the morning and when she is feeling "yucky" according yo her during the day. I am SOO glad to see I am not the only one with an older child. My daughter used to be open about it but when my family started making comments to me in front of her, she has not brought it up with ANYONE. It mad me so mad when my family would make comments like that in front of her. I have had talks with them about it and they dont comment anymore in front of her but when they did, it caused my daughter to feel embarrassed because of it. I do have kind of a funny question though if thats OK. What do your kids call them. My daughter calls them her NUM NUM's! LOL How she came up with that I have no idea. Thank you everyone!

Mary
#21 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Oak

This is also my first post, and I am feeling so relieved to "be among friends". My daughter, just 5, used to tell people but does so less as she gets older. She calls it "milkies" and is allergic to other milks, so it has sometimes caused confusion (like when we were visiting a friend's house w/ a super attentive dad, who was on his way back from the kitchen with a glass of milk before i even had my boob out after she asked for milkies). My favorite conversations about it all have been w/ the other kids at the preschool, who ask why, etc, and I ask them if they drink milk from cows, etc, and watch the wheels turn in their heads...
but i am sad that she seems to be getting more self conscious about it, as do I, even in a fairly liberal city.
#22 of 24 Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 PM

*I* nursed until I was almost 5 and I love to tell my friends about it!

I still have vague sweet memories of it. I also remember tandem nursing with my then one year old sister. We adore each other today!

I feel very fortunate to be a product of a hippy mom from the 70's!

Mama to DS & DD, 4 years old TWINS 
Birthing/Postpartum RN on my "free time".
#23 of 24 Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 AM

I honestly don't think it ever came up beyond preschool. My twins nursed for 5 1/2 and 6+ years, but by the time they weaned they were only nursing at night before bed. It was just part of the routine - do your kids talk to their friends about brushing their teeth? Of course, nursing is more meaningful than that, but for our kids, there's nothing remarkable about it.

My daughter's best friend, who we've only known for a year (so DD was weaned before meeting her), still nurses at 5+. And they do talk about it, but then both moms are nursing 14 month olds and they have sleepovers and the like, so my DD sees her friend nursing. I think it only comes up because we're around when she nurses.

When we talked about weaning (we talked about weaning for a LONG time ), they were really surprised to find out that most of their friends . . . okay, ALL of their friends were already weaned.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

#24 of 24 Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM

I know this is an older thread, but I've been thinking about this.  My 10 year old nursed until she was 5. We haven't really talked about it for a long time, but she recently told me that she thinks she should have stopped around age 3 since that is how long "most people" nurse.  I really don't know where she got that from.  She doesn't seem aware that most people don't breastfeed past a few weeks if at all, but I haven't figured out how to tell her. 

A couple of years ago, we were at a public park and my daughter started playing with a particular boy.  I started talking to his mom, and happened to overhear my daughter telling the boy that she nursed until she was 5.  (I don't know how you get on that topic with a total stranger, but that's kids for you rolleyes.gif)  My first reaction was embarrassment since I was unprepared for that and didn't know how the other mother would react.  But the other mom said, "Oh that's so good for her!   My son nursed until he was four."  We are still friends to this day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page