Mothering Forum banner

If your child weaned before 2 years of age....

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  KatWrangler 
#1 ·
at what age did they wean? And what were the circumstances? Was it a nursing strike that you could not get the baby to nurse after?
I ask because my Liam is almost 21 months and he hasn't nursed since last Wednesday. He came down with gingivostomatitis and I suppose he stopped nursing because of the pain. He's just now starting to get better and today he's been eating normally without any pain or crying. BUT, he still refuses to nurse. He actually seems to get angry with me if I offer him my breast and tries to cover it back up. I'm really bummed, because it came on abruptly and I'm not ready to wean yet!

See less See more
#2 ·
My second born weaned himself when he was only 11 months old because of mouth pain. I tried everything to encourage him to continue nursing, but he was done. It was really hard on me. I worried about him, but he was fine. It was to soon to young for me, but he never looked back. Still has to do his own thing.
Peace

#3 ·
My oldest weaned himself at only 23 months, way before I thought he would. I was 7 months pregnant and I think he kind of gave up on it as my milk supply was minimal at the time. I thought he'd want to nurse again when his sister was born but he never even asked. He did nurse his dolly a lot though!

If your supply is good and you think it was pain that caused him to stop he'll likely start up again. Or maybe he really is just ready.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by green_momma2007 View Post
at what age did they wean? And what were the circumstances? Was it a nursing strike that you could not get the baby to nurse after?
I ask because my Liam is almost 21 months and he hasn't nursed since last Wednesday. He came down with gingivostomatitis and I suppose he stopped nursing because of the pain. He's just now starting to get better and today he's been eating normally without any pain or crying. BUT, he still refuses to nurse. He actually seems to get angry with me if I offer him my breast and tries to cover it back up. I'm really bummed, because it came on abruptly and I'm not ready to wean yet!

You could handle this as a nursing strike (which it sounds like it is) and try some ideas to get him back to the breast. Here are some links from kellymom that may help - although most seem geared at younger kids.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...striketips.asp

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec92p173.html

#5 ·
My daughter just weaned at 22 months. I'm 23 weeks pregnant and my milk is gone. With no milk there, she self weaned, really gradually and wonderfully. Honestly I was ready for her to be done, and am glad that I let her do it on her own

If you are not ready I'm really sorry and hope that either you get to a good place with it or he starts up nursing again for you Mama
Hugs.

#7 ·
All three of my kids weaned before age 2. My first was 12 months, second was 18 months, third was 21 months. Other than my second, whose weaning may have been partly due to my being pregnant, it was just a case of them gradually decreasing their nursing over the course of a few months, and reaching the point where if I didn't offer they didn't ask. We never had any nursing strikes.

#8 ·
My oldest weaned at about a year and a half. I was pregnant, my milk supply was severely diminished, and it was a gradual process.

#9 ·
DD1 weaned a week before she turned 21 months. The last day she nursed was Halloween 2007 which was my Dad's funeral. I was also pregnant with DD2. So no milk from pregnancy and the stress of my Dad's funeral I think did it. I asked her the next week if she wanted boobie or a sippy. She said Sippy.

DD2 will be 21 months on the 12th. She hasn't nursed since Noon on Monday. I think she is done. My last baby too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.