When did your children want to quit - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think DS1 is done, at 6.5. His last time to nurse was right around Mother's Day, and a few days after that he told me that his body didn't need nursies anymore. He may nurse again, but I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. He'd been down to every few weeks for awhile.
#32 of 53 Old 07-03-2010, 03:12 PM

dd is almost five and still nursing she says she maybe 10 when she stops nursing. I won't be able to hold out that long but given the amount of time she spends nursing now I imagine she will stop sometime during this next year. I hope. I want it to be her decision but...

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#33 of 53 Old 07-05-2010, 03:39 AM

The first time dd weaned was when I was pg with ds, she told me that a story would do and that the 'num nums' was for the baby, I was shocked and remember crying at the LLL Toddler meeting, it was about a month before ds was born and 2 months before her 3rd birthday, ds was born and things went from bad to worse for us all and she had a very traumatic time, when I came home from the hospital she asked to nurse again and she remembered and wow it did us all a power of good - it really was one of the best moments of my life!! She nursed with her brother for another 18 months and then again decided that she had had enough and that was it really, she has asked once or twice but can't remember how to suck. DS is still nursing once a day - he says he'll stop on his 5th birthday hmmm ..... watch this space - not sure he'll actually stop on his birthday - he saw my breast the other day and said mmmm this is all for me!!! lol made me laugh

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#34 of 53 Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 AM

This is post is very good! I learned a lot! Thank you for your replies, threads and posts!

April is a wife to Dave, 07/18/2009
a mother to [COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Kael [/COLOR]02/13/20
#35 of 53 Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Just shy of two!
I just posted about it - I'm still surprised. It just gradually declined in frequency & duration. The past several months it was only first thing in the morning, & then he would nurse a while. So I was surprised when he started being disinterested in the morning. He wanted more to play 'fort' hiding under my sheets than to lay down & BF like we normally did in the morning.

I will admit that the past several times he has asked for "Monk" (still has trouble with those 'Ls'), I ignore & distract him now, BUT, every.single.time he's asked the past couple months, I get the boob out & he doesn't nothing but look at it, or put his mouth on just the nipple & laugh! So when he asks (always before bed) I know it's just a diversionary tactic to avoid going to sleep. Or maybe he's just pointing out that he knows the word for it- he does that a lot lately, just naming things.
#36 of 53 Old 07-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Dd never asked to quit, she just started tapering off a lot and got distracted. Around 4.5 my milk really dried up on one side and it hurt on the other because she nursed every so often, so I proposed a weaning party, which occurred when she was almost 5. She does still attempt to latch upon occasion.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#37 of 53 Old 07-26-2010, 12:20 AM

my ds will be 3 in october, and hes getting close to being done i think

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#38 of 53 Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM

DS will be five next week - don't think he'll be finished yet. I keep thinking he has quit- then one morning he'll ask again - when he does, I have mixed feelings.

I think if 3yr old dd was not still nursing, he would have stopped. This morning, she woke early and nursed on both sides, then fell back asleep. Then, ds woke up and DID ask to nurse. When he tried, there really wasn't much milk. He was like, "aahh, shoot", but then bounded up and was ready for the day.
#39 of 53 Old 07-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Child #1: 5 years
#2: 7 years
#3: 7 years

#4 (almost 5 years old) and #5 (2 years old) continue to nurse. #6 is due to arrive in March.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#40 of 53 Old 07-31-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings View Post
Child #1: 5 years
#2: 7 years
#3: 7 years

#4 (almost 5 years old) and #5 (2 years old) continue to nurse. #6 is due to arrive in March.
wow.. where is the bow down smiley LOL

no weaning here yet... mine are 3 & 1

mama to one '07 and one '09
#41 of 53 Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 PM

DD stopped nursing a few months ago, about 1 month before the new baby came. She was 5y9months at the time. She told me she was leaving it for the baby but reserved the right to nurse again if she wanted to. She had only started nursing less a few weeks before weaning. Before that, she would nurse at least 3 times a day (in the morning, after school and before bed).

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#42 of 53 Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM

About 8 months after DD2 was born, I cut DD1 down to "once a day in the morning before I got out of bed." She'd nurse for literally like 2 seconds. If she forgot or missed her opportunity, oh well. About 4 months into this, at 4 years 9 months, she said she don't want to nurse anymore.
#43 of 53 Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 AM

DS had been telling me he was going to nurse until he was 4. His birthday came and then suddenly, he changed his story to say he would nurse until 6. He was nursing only once a day and then, just for a few minutes at a time. I got pregnant in Jan (he turned 4 in Oct) and because of previous losses, I decided to encourage him to stop. I still allowed him to nurse, but I would also distract him for a few minutes when he asked and then if he asked again, he'd nurse. Most of the time, he didn't ask a second time.

He's seen my breastpump and knows what it's for and tells me that when the baby comes and I have milk again, he wants some, but in a cup.

I feel good about how we weaned and he really does seem like he was ready for it. It's been about 7 months since he's even asked about it.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
#44 of 53 Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 AM

DD told everyone as she was getting ready to turn 3 that she would stop on her 3rd birthday. And she did! (with a *little* help from me, but it was all initiated by her.)
#45 of 53 Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't answer the op because I weaned my older two kids around 2.5 years. I *think* that CLW may be the "right" thing to do but am not sure I can keep nursing the twins on their schedule.

Maybe this isn't the right thread to think about these things but, how did you stick with it when 1- it is so frustrating to nurse all. the. freaking. time and 2-my kids are whiny and miserable when not getting to nurse all. the. freaking. time and their weaned at 12 month friends seem to be happier, better behaved, etc human beings. and 3- I'm exhausted from the night nursings.(and 4, I'm starting to feel uncomfortable nip, just because my own confidence is declining about this.)

Maybe I am trying to justify my weaning them but I set limits on other things why not nursing also? (I am very much not being critical of clw here! I am looking for reasons to continue when the benefits are very much not visible to me. Heck, I'm so emotional about this......)

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#46 of 53 Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Having nursed two now well into toddlerhood (and beyond.... for one) it is clearly a need. And non-nursed other toddlers DO fill that need in other ways, but I don't want to force that on my kids when it is still merely an annoyance at worst to still nurse them. If I were over-the-top fried it would be different, (and sometimes when I am in the middle of the night, I say no to the 2yr old...)

-Angela
#47 of 53 Old 09-11-2010, 09:27 PM

DD - 2years 9 months., DS #1 weaned right around the same time 2 yrs. 9 mths, and DS#2 is only 18 mths and still nursing.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#48 of 53 Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 AM

Mine was a total Miss independence she stopped on her own at 11 months. Then my supply dwindled quite quickly. I tried to save it and keep it so I could pump for her to drink in sippy but couldn't get anything even when I added fenugreek and pumped double electric. Its possible the supply was dropping because she started to finally be okay with a bottle when I worked then realized she could take it on the run.

She didn't want to nurse long for a month before that she had started walking and didn't want to be held down for nothing.

I would have happily went on to 3, maybe more years.

Melissa mama to Zoë 7/26/03
#49 of 53 Old 09-19-2010, 05:03 PM

A drop in nursing at 11 months is a nursing strike. Infants don't self-wean.

-Angela
#50 of 53 Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
A drop in nursing at 11 months is a nursing strike. Infants don't self-wean.

-Angela
Can a kid self-wean at 13 months?

I've never had the experience of any kid self weaning (I weaned two at ages 2.5 and 2.7ish and my 3 year olds are still going strong.) but couldn't a kid discover food and decide that beats nursing for calories and be the type of kid who doesn't need/want the closeness or comfort that it provides? I'm not wanting to argue, but am truly curious if some people believe a kid can't self-wean before 12 months but could at 13 months.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#51 of 53 Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Choose? Never. My first I weaned at 4 years. My 16 mo is going strong!

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#52 of 53 Old 09-19-2010, 10:00 PM

My daughter is 4 years, 2 months and I am 32 weeks pregnant and she has shown no indication that she will ever stop. I asked her and she told me to ask again when she is 5 - we'll see.
#53 of 53 Old 09-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Can a kid self-wean at 13 months?
Unlikely IMO. Nutritionally they still need the milk at that point. Now if they were provided other animal milk etc, possible they would wean, but I would consider it partially mom-led.

IMO it is highly unlikely to have CLW before 18 months on the absolute earliest end. I think average is probably at least 3-4 yrs old.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page