When did your children want to quit - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 03-24-2010, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am curious: How old were your children when they decided that it was enough?
#2 of 53 Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wish I had an answer for you, I cut one off at 5 (which she was not happy about even though I spent a year preparing her) and the other one is about to turn 4 and still highly addicted. I plan on cutting her off at 5 too and I don't see it being a pretty thing.

Seriously?
#3 of 53 Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Lol... when I ask my 4YO, her usual response is NEVER!

I'm hoping she eventually decides she's had enough.

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#4 of 53 Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM

I ended up cutting my older daughter off at about 4.5 years over a few weeks. My younger daughter stopped at 18 months--one day she looked at me and laughed at the idea of nursing. The next day I convinced her to do it one more time (to help my pain) and that was the last time she nursed.
#5 of 53 Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, at 18 months? A little Miss Independent?

It seems to me that girls are often "done with it" sooner than boys. At least what I see when I look around.

Well, let's see how mine goes. But I actually see him keeping on nursing and nursing and then still being very upset, even if he is already 5. O well....
#6 of 53 Old 03-25-2010, 08:37 PM

My ds nursed until he was 5.5. We started very slowly teaching him to go to sleep without milk at 4.5, and I thought he was never going to quit! Then one day he told me the milk was gone and that was it.

Sarah, mom to ds Shea 7 and dd Jane Feb 5, 2010.
#7 of 53 Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD1 was just shy of 4, DD2 3.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 53 Old 03-26-2010, 08:28 AM

DD was 4.5 and quit when DD2 was born. She tried nursing a couple times after she was born and then said she was done.
It was sweet, she said the milk was DD2's now.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#9 of 53 Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Both of mine at about 5.5, despite the fact that their nursing patterns were so different. I think my younger dd would have nursed longer if there had been a baby in the family, but by the time she was 5 there just wasn't really any milk. My breasts are still her favorite comfort object, though.

FWIW, up until the time they stopped, I honestly thought that neither one of them would stop on their own. And they did.
#10 of 53 Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 AM

5.5 and not giving up yet...

-Angela
#11 of 53 Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 AM

My older is 5.5 and still breastfeeding every morning and night, it seems its not going to end this year.
#12 of 53 Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 AM

It seems from the previous posts that my babies stop early.. I let my last two babies decide and my dd was 16 months, I was pregnant so that may have helped in the decision for her.. One day she just didn't want to nurse, it was so quick I was sad.. As with my ds he is 14 months and just didn't want to nurse one day.. I was surprised and kept offering but he didn't want it.. I do think that my supply was declining and he would get frustrated when nursing.. I do miss it and was sad being that he is my last baby... although now he does a snuggle with me at the times when we used to nurse so that is very sweet.

:
#13 of 53 Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 AM
ssh

My DD stopped nursing to sleep a couple of months before turning 4. She weaned completely about 3 weeks after that.
#14 of 53 Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
My kiddo is 4.8 and only asks about every other day. Sometimes he refuses when i offer (yes, i do actually offer)
#15 of 53 Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 AM

My 5-year-old (son) stopped nursing for good right around his fifth birthday, but it was *very* gradual (I kept thinking, "this is it!" and then he'd ask to nurse again). The last 5-6 months that he nursed, he nursed very infrequently.

My 3-year-old (daughter) isn't anywhere near ready to wean.

(My 7-month-old daughter is *also* not ready to wean.)
#16 of 53 Old 04-05-2010, 01:09 AM

My oldest was 4 1/2 when he weaned, and my youngest was 3 1/2. They were definitely ready and so was I, but I was the one who ended up initiating it both times. We had a weaning calendar and after they had gone a week without nursing we had a weaning party. They both remember their weaning parties fondly - they are 10 and 8 now and still talk about it!
#17 of 53 Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
My 4 1/2 year old still nurses occasionally, ...but so occasionally, i dont really know how often. Maybe once a week... anyway, one night he wanted to nurse, and then stopped and said 'Mom, i dont need 'ongi' to sleep anymore.'

Anyway, i guess he'll wean soon, but im not in a hurry. His brother at 2 is still going about 6x a day (probably more actually)
Maya
#18 of 53 Old 04-15-2010, 12:20 PM

My first dd stopped at 2 1/4 yrs old, but we had a busy weekend and I was also 13 weeks preggo. She just quit, I didn't even realize until it had been three days. I was sad but sortof relived because it had been hurting so bad to nurse her. My 2nd dd was 3 3/4 yrs old and had to be slightly coaxed, she got a scooter for a weaning present My first ds was one month past 3 yrs old and just looked at me while I was nursing his little brother and said, "I don't want mama milk anymore." and that was that...it was sad for me because it just came out of the blue and I wasn't ready for it at all. My 2nd ds is only 11 monthes, so it will be interesting to see what he does.
#19 of 53 Old 04-23-2010, 10:04 AM

My 4y9m old is now saying, "maybe when I am 6". He used to say, "when I am 4". When he turned 4, he said "when I am 5). He only nurses once a day - I set some limits along way. I wonder if I set too many because he now seems to substitute rubbing my moles! Drives me crazy! I think I am getting close to wanting him to wean, but am not sure.....

My 2y11m old dd is going strong. I thought she would wean early but she loves her "milk-milk"!

dh wants them both to stop - that's another thread.....
#20 of 53 Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM

My older DD was 3.5 when I stopped her. I was tandeming and just could not do it anymore. I felt so guilty and still do because I know she loved it and needed it and would probably have continued for a year or more.

My younger DD stopped on her own last year a few months after her 3rd birthday. She started wearing panties and sleeping in a toddler bed and decided she didn't need to nurse or nap anymore, "I'm a big girl now mom and I don't do that anymore". Okay, then.

Much easier on my conscience that way! I will not coerce a child into quitting again, like I did with my older DD. If I am gifted with more kids, I will be in it for the long run.

#21 of 53 Old 04-23-2010, 08:24 PM

18 months for the first two 26?? months for the third. I'm sure pregnancy had something to do with the first two. They both just suddenly started refusing around the time I was 3 months pregnant. My third didn't have a sibling interrupt his noonies. But by the time he was two years old, he was super-active and I was getting skin-crawls every time he nursed, so I didn't try to push him to nurse and was relieved as he gradually stopped asking. I had night-weaned him at about 18 months because by that point after so many years of night-waking (they're all two years apart), I was getting close to insane from sleep deprivation.

And I don't feel guilty either. All three were ready, all three thrived afterwards, and all three are remarkably healthy little goobers. I gave them a *really* good start with nursing exclusively for as long as they wanted, and I am content with that.
#22 of 53 Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcealegria View Post
My older is 5.5 and still breastfeeding every morning and night, it seems its not going to end this year.

I have a 6 YO and when my baby was born, she wanted to nurse again. After too much of persuasion I finally let her try. She had completely forgotten to latch. She still ocassionally asks to nurse.

#23 of 53 Old 04-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 5 yo is still going strong, though I'm kind of getting ready to be done. She claims she is going to be done when she is 9.5 but I will cut her off before then!!!
#24 of 53 Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 PM

We considered DD "officially" weaned at 4 years, 2 months. She couldn't figure out how to latch after that though she tried for another 15 months and was upset for much of the time. I consider the limitations I imposed while pg with DS to have altered her natural weaning timeline.

DS was 5 years, 8 months. He was *so* proud when he weaned himself. One days I was like, "Hey, you haven't nursed in a while" and he gave a huge grin and said, "Yup, I've weaned." It was spring of his kindergarten year.

#25 of 53 Old 04-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please keep in mind that this is the Child-Led Weaning forum, so I am assuming the OP is looking for ages of when children have quit on their own, without prompting, coaxing, or other mother-led encouragement. Thank you!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#26 of 53 Old 05-17-2010, 02:26 AM

it was very, very gradual: every month for under five minutes, then every three months, then it felt like whenever i declared her weaned, she would ask again.

i have no memory whatsoever of the last time she nursed, but she was somewhere around 7 or 7 1/2.

She won't ask again; she's 21 now, lol.

ds1 was 6 1/2, but i don't consider that clw because i overdid the "after i finish..." and then when i finished whatever seemed so darned important at the time, i wouldn't remind him if he seemed happy doing something else. i never intended to wean him, i just felt 'touched out", but pretty soon he stopped asking and then started refusing when offered.

he's 18 now.

Although both kids were shockingly old by cultural standards, i see a huge difference in them and feel that the clw kid benefited tremendously from what really wasn't that much more time out of my own life.

most kids will wean earlier than that, but i will not cut my two year old off if leisurely weaning runs in my family.
#27 of 53 Old 05-17-2010, 03:46 PM

at 3.5 and 5.5 years old; both had been tapering down from a few times a day to 1 time a day in the 6-9 months leading up, and then one day I realized I couldn't remember when we'd had our last nursing session ...

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#28 of 53 Old 05-19-2010, 01:01 AM

Already posted. oops

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#29 of 53 Old 05-19-2010, 04:28 PM

DS1 was 22m and it nearly killed me! It was what ended up being 6 weeks before his little brother was born and he just lost interest. He nursed a couple of times after DS2 arrived but then he started refusing. He would say "it brudders now". It made me so sad for him to not want it anymore when our goal was 4 years but he seemed to be okay with it so I guess he knew best. DS2 is 8 months and totally boobie obsessed.

Amy~ Crunchy mummy to Dane (9-15-07) & Kai (9-14-09)
#30 of 53 Old 05-26-2010, 07:14 PM

My oldest recently weaned at 6 years old. She feels totally fine with it. My younger two are 4.5 years old and 21 months and still going strong.

I wouldn't categorize us as totally CLW, as I did limit nursing somewhat, especially when nursing three, but I tried to work with my daughter as much as possible on it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page