What to expect after 10 years of nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I first got pg in June of 1999 and was nursing or pregnant until Feb of this year. My first was born in Feb 2000 and outside of 3 months I was nursing until this Feb. I have been dealing with depression, anxiety etc on and off since my second was born in 2002. My youngest is 4 now. He stop nursing around his 4th birthday but for the 6 months before hand he was only nursing 1-2 times a day. I really didn't feel like I was even lactating during that time but according to him I was .

I'd love to hear others experiences who have nursed for extended periods of times and how or if they were affected once they finally stopped.

TIA, Micky
#2 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM

My oldest was born in January 1999, and my 4 year old weaned in September of 2009. I did have two months during my third pregnancy when my middle wasn't nursing, but other than that it was nearly ten years straight of breastfeeding. The only real change I saw when she weaned was that my libido finally REALLY returned. And thus... I was pregnant less than a year later (my baby is 3 weeks old).

My breasts didn't shrink at all (I wish.) Emotionally, there was some adjustment/transition to a different phase in my life, and an opening of possibilities as I felt like I was just myself again instead of belonging to my kids in such a physical way. But well, then I was pregnant again. LOL.
#3 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM

I was either pregnant or nursing (or both) for 8 years. When I weaned my youngest around her 3rd birthday I was in the process of loosing weight. I was just so ready to have my body back. For me it was liberating. It felt great. I had no feelings or sadness at all.
#4 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses. I was/am definitely ready to be done. I am not sad, much to my surprise. I feel like I am coming out of a very long term depression I wasn't really aware I was in. About a month ago (about a month after I stopped nursing) I felt like a shade was lifted from my eyes. I have always felt like I have had seasonal depression (I live in MN) and I chalked it up to that at that time. But I feel like I have a new sense of confidence, energy, desire to live again that I haven't felt in years. I am wondering if it is more than just my usual seasonal stuff. That maybe I have been more affected by nursing than I realized. Of course they may not be at all related .

I have noticed an increase in my libido too. Lunita, I had to laugh when I read your post. That happened to us between my second and third. My 3rd is now 4 and we have taken permanant steps to keep our family at 5 .

I have been told over the years that I would feel different once I stopped nursing, that my energy would increase etc. I never really believed it. But now I'm wondering what affect lactating for so long did have on me. I don't regret extended nursing at all but if I can shake the anxiety and depression now for good i would be extremely greatful.

Micky
#5 of 7 Old 04-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

LOL! I read the title of this thread and thought someone was writing about bf-ing a 10 year old. I was like, "whoa! That's pretty far out there even for this board!" Then I was picturing a mom knocking on the 5th grade classroom door because it was time for Johnny's lunch...
I REALLY need my coffee!!
#7 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheaSilva View Post
LOL! I read the title of this thread and thought someone was writing about bf-ing a 10 year old. I was like, "whoa! That's pretty far out there even for this board!" Then I was picturing a mom knocking on the 5th grade classroom door because it was time for Johnny's lunch...
I REALLY need my coffee!!

This is such an interesting thread, I had never even considered what it will be like when I am done nursing.... I sure know that I don't feel like I used to before becoming a mother. Definately a lower libido and some depression and anxiety. I have been nursing and/or pregnant for 9 years and will be for at least 2-3 yrs longer (hopefully longer if we are blessed with more babies). I'll be watching this thread for more stories!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page