Pregnant -- will milk turning to colostrum wean toddler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant. My DD is still a huge nursing fan at 3.5 years old, and when we are together will request to BF at least 4 times a day.

I'm wondering how my pregnancy is going to affect our nursing relationship. I know that at some point, my milk will turn to colostrum for the new baby. When does that happen? When it does, will DD think this is a new and wonderful thing, or wean?

Thanks for all advice!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#2 of 6 Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM

DD #1 turned two 10 days before DD #2 was born and her nursing never stopped & rarely tapered. Her latch may have changed a bit due to low supply, and I think that and crazy pregnancy/post-partum hormones caused what's known as breastfeeding agitation. After DD#2 was born, it was a very rare session where I didn't want to push DD#1 off my lap & wasn't swearing at her in my head. It sucked. I ended our nursing relationship about two months or so after DD#2 was born, because I just couldn't take it anymore, emotionally. I've read some posts where people were able to continue tandem nursing after something like this, and I guess it's fairly common, to some degree. Not trying to bring you down, just wanted to warn you so that if it does happen, you don't think you're the worst mother in the world, like I did.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#3 of 6 Old 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Most of my friends nursed through pregnancy, including me. A few of their children self-weaned during pregnancy, but I would say that it was more typical for the child to nurse all the way through and then tandem nurse.
#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 PM

I think it really just depends on your child. DD (who was NOT a comfort nurser as a baby) is still nursing and I am 27 weeks pregnant, she is 21 months. I always figured she would wean during pregnancy when I lost my supply but she hasn't. I have had colostrum for probably 3 weeks now and she doesn't seem to care one way or another. I'm curious to see how she will respond when my milk comes in!
I have always just tried to keep an open mind about it. If she wants to keep nursing, that's her choice. If she wants to wean, that's her choice. If she wants to wean and start again once the baby comes, that her choice. One day at a time.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM

My DD is 3.5 and she has kept on nursing! I almost totally lost my supply during the first trimester and she cut back to nursing only at night and in the morning when she wakes up, for the most part. She was excited when there was colostrum, after having nothing for a few months.

I'm interested to see how she reacts when my milk comes in for the new baby--I'm afraid she won't like it and will be overwhelmed after having barely anything for so long!

Nursing through pregnancy has been hard for me. It has hurt A LOT sometimes. Her latch has gotten messed up due to low supply and caused a blister. Sometimes while I get this crawly feeling like I just want to throw DD out the window and run away. But nursing is so important to her, she wouldn't give it up without a lot of heartbreak unless she was totally ready to let go.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#6 of 6 Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page