Ritual ideas for a 5 yo's weaning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my 5 yo ds may be getting ready to wean. For a while he wanted "3 sides" (i.e. left-right-left) before books and going to sleep. Now I'm thinking even him being that exact about it might be a step toward him controlling it. Last night he wanted 2 sides. Tonight he considered skipping it and then said he wanted 1 side. (A little surprising for mama but I think I maintained neutrality well.)

Some people I know did a party or ritual when their child weaned or they weaned their child. Most of them were quite a bit younger. I like the idea of marking the occasion. I'm curious what you all think about having a ritual of some sort and any ideas you have.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM

bummer no one has replied to you. i actually came on here looking for the same thing. My son is turning 5 in one week and has been telling me since he turned 4 that he would be done when he turned 5 and now it looks like that is what is happening. He had taken it down to like once a week, then two nights ago he asked to nurse but it had been like 2 weeks and he literally wasn't doing right. He started doing this weird thing with his lips and he told me he wasn't getting any milk. (I have a 2 yr old and she gets milk just fine) So I think he is done. We are having a birthday/weaning party on the 15th. I would like to incorporate some weaning rituals.. prolly not a boob cake but something, i would like some ideas.
#3 of 14 Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 PM

We just had cupcakes, per my daughter's request. It at least gives us something to look back and point to. I don't think it needs to be elaborate or fancy to be something that can still mark the occasion.

Edited to add--I wasn't bashing the idea of a more elaborate ritual, just giving some support that anything you do will be a cherished part of the weaning process. We retell the story all the time and all that we did was have cupcakes.
#4 of 14 Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM

I think this is a sweet idea. My dd would want cupcakes. A "date" with me alone might be something and maybe a special necklace, or in our case, by the time it happens since my daughter will be a teenager, according to her, perhaps a car. LOL?
#5 of 14 Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Ill be watching this thread too. My ds is 41/2 and close to weaning. Im not sure ill do anything in particular, but am interested to see what others have done.

Wanted to say hi to you Waturmama! Looks like our ds's are close in age.
Maya
#6 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM

My first son weaned at age 5 and blogged about his celebration here. still waiting for ds2 to wean (5 1/2, has special needs.)

I'm Deborah, mama to Aidan, 11/02, Sean, 9/04 (my T21 SuperBoy), and Eleanor, 8/08.
#7 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing that story, Deborah. contactmaya

I read the story about the menarche party in the March/April Mothering the other day. Somehow I had missed it, but I saw the letters about it in the current mothering. I liked how the mother gave her a couple ritual choices. I like the idea of giving my ds some choices. It is his occasion and I want to do what is meaningful to him. Still thinking of what the choices will be... I liked the point in Deborah's blog that a 5-year old can sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

treehugger.gifMama to DS (3/05 )carrot.gifh20homebirth.gif, wife to DH bikenew.gif, remembering rainbow1284.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif and angel1.gif Spirit 1/07, angel1.gif Hope 5/09, angel1.gif Harmony 6/10, angel1.gif Love 5/11, angel1.gif Joy 6/11

#8 of 14 Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 AM
DBZ

We are going to have a weaning party at a place called Jump On In. It has lots of jumpy things. It's expensive to have a party there so I'm considering it her birthday party too.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#9 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 AM

We didn't have a party but we talked about how she wanted to stop having
Mommy milk so that Maia could have it because now that she was a big girl, she didn't need it, babies need it. Then she picked out a necklace that is made with a drop of your milk in it, very beautiful.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post
We didn't have a party but we talked about how she wanted to stop having
Mommy milk so that Maia could have it because now that she was a big girl, she didn't need it, babies need it. Then she picked out a necklace that is made with a drop of your milk in it, very beautiful.
Where did you get this???? I want one for ME!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#11 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM

This great Etsy shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/hollyday27
Such a cool idea, huh?

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#12 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 03:20 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Not quite weaning, but. . .
Dd always said that she would be done when she turned 4. While she isn't quite done (she was 4 in January), I needed her to stop nursing to sleep. I noticed that on the days that she went to bed without nursing, she actually slept all night. When I nursed her to sleep she would wake 3 times a night. So, when she turned 4 we asked if she was all done? She said she was, but like I said she does still nurse on occassion. So we chatted and I said that I was ok still nursing her, but not at night. Well, she really doesn't want it unless she is tired (even if offered). She has always wanted to go to Chuck E Cheese (not our type of place at all). So, after two weeks of going to bed with out nursing we had a big day at CEC. We met up with a couple friends, bought 100 tokens, skipped the food and let the kids play.

It felt like a weaning party. We called it a big girl party and tied it to going to bed like a big girl. And I really thought that she might be done because of the zero interest unless she is tired. But, right now she does nurse about 2 times a month. Usually after a poor night of sleep.

But maybe, you can ask your son if there is something he would like to do. Anything that makes "him" the person to celebrate will be a winner.

amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the ideas. Wow about the necklace.

So this morning I asked ds if he had any thoughts about finishing nursing. He said "no." I asked him something related to kindergarten (which he starts in the fall), I can't remember what, and he said, "I'll probably be the only one nursing in kindergarten...I'll probably be the only one nursing in first grade." I'm pleased he has no stigmas about being the only one doing something, but I'm starting to think maybe the nursing is coming to a close as quickly as I was thinking it would a few weeks ago!

My sense is it is good to keep talking about it occasionally as well as what he would want to do to celebrate. It occurs to me that a connected thing to talk about is what it would mean to him to stop nursing.

#14 of 14 Old 07-03-2010, 03:04 PM

I am planning a nursing party for dd once she has decided she is done. She misses days here and there when she is busy but generally she nurses to sleep and again either once she wakes up or some point later in the day. LAst year I suggested weaning at 5 as she approaches her 5th birthday she nurses less but the mere mention of weaning upsets her. When I ask her about weaning she gets very upset and whimpers.

My thought was that we would invite her friend that knows she still nurses or perhaps just our family and hold a party to celebrate the passage from nrsling to the next phase.

I LOVE the idea of the necklace. I think I want 2 one for mer and one for me. I wonder how long it would hold up?

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page