how to make sure dd doesn't wean? UPDATE - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dd is 14 mo old and will be traveling with dh for 10 days, while I need to stay home and work. Apart from making sure my supply doesn't drop, do you have any bdtd stories, or tips on how to make sure she doesn't refuse the breast after being separated from me for 10 days?

I should add that I went back to work full time when she was one and she's been staying home with dh for the past months, so I'm sure that emotionally she'll be ok. Dh has been in charge of naps, feedings, outings, playgroups and swimming lessons. The only thing I worry about is accidentally weaning her. She has never been a comfort nurser and lately she nurses only at night. My ds CLW-ed at 4 y/o, and I'd like to nurse dd for AT LEAST 2 years.

caffix.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

pretty please?

caffix.gif

#3 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, if she does wean there isn't anything you can do about it - 10 days is a pretty long time.  BUT - will she take a bottle?  My ds turns 2 in Jan, and has been with his dad for a week twice without me - and still nurses.  I think part of it is that he LOVES loves loves to nurse, and would nurse constantly if I let him, but he also gets a bottle at night with his dad.  He actively ASKS for the bottle with his dad, but with me he asks to nurse - so the bottle is his replacement sucking when he's at his dad's.  I would send a few bottles if she'll take them from your dh (or even if she won't now b/c she might want to suck while away, and if thats the only way she'll get to, she might take one), and then you'll just have to hope she doesn't wean.  I was really worried my ds would wean both times he was away from me (once was his dad's vacation week, and once I was in Haiti - so DS absolutely could not come with me), but he loves to nurse, so he didn't.

#4 of 9 Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM

I'm in the same boat. I'll be away from DS for about 10 days when he is 15 months and I am terrified he'll ween while I'm gone. He is a crazy-in-love with nursing nurser so I think we'll be ok. I am going to have him take his milk (ebm) out of a cup rather than bottle and then just hope when I come back he'll still be into it.

Homebirthing Mama to busy DD (2008), cuddly DS (2010) and midwife to be
#5 of 9 Old 12-06-2010, 11:26 AM

I think it just depends on the kid. I can tell you that trips as long as 6 days did NOTHING to decrease my DDs desire to nurse when she was that age. She just picked up right where she left off. I mommy-led weaned my daughter at 4.5 years old because I was done.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#6 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for replying.

It's reassuring to know other people went through the same situation and didn't wean.

We won't give her a bottle to make sure she doesn't get used to getting milk from a bottle.

She likes her sippy cup.

caffix.gif

#7 of 9 Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post

thanks for replying.

It's reassuring to know other people went through the same situation and didn't wean.

We won't give her a bottle to make sure she doesn't get used to getting milk from a bottle.

She likes her sippy cup.

I would consider a bottle for while you are away - certainly not for daytime milk, but maybe for nighttime or right before bed.  My ds has to have a bottle before bed at his dad's house - he refuses the sippy cup at that time.  At 14mo, nipple confusion wouldn't be so much of an issue b/c nursing isn't about the milk as much as it is about mommy/baby bonding time IME.  If she doesn't want the bottle, don't force it, but I wouldn't write it off completely - when you come home she likely won't want it anymore.  My ds never asks me for a bottle - but he does ask his dad for one at bedtime.

#8 of 9 Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

So I'm back from the trip, dd went back to nursing as nothing had happened. Yay! We're on our way to CLW

Now I have a freezer full of milk, I didn't realise she was eating 0.5 l a day, at least this is how much I pumped.

Thanks for your stories and advice

caffix.gif

#9 of 9 Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM

awesome update!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page