If Your Child Was an Avid Nurser at 4 Years Old, When Did They Wean? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right now, my almost four year old daughter nurses on request. She is nightweaned, but during the day, she often nurses 6-10 times a day, with several of these nursing sessions lasting a half an hour. She has a younger brother nursing, too. If you had a four year old who nursed a LOT like this and chose to continue nursing on request, when did they wean?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM

My 8y/o was 5-6 times in the day and 1-3 at night when she was about 4. She stopped nursing at 5yrs, 3 months, and for the last... 4, maybe 5 months, she hardly nursed at all. There was no gradual decline, she kind of just dropped off!

There's really no telling.

#3 of 8 Old 12-11-2010, 06:34 AM

my DS also weaned at 5 years old; I could never imagined how easily he would self-wean when he was still 4 and nursing a lot!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#4 of 8 Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM

My 4 yr old nursed quick frequently, i didn't think he'd self wean when he did. He self weaned at 4yrs 3months old.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(10),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#5 of 8 Old 01-16-2011, 02:52 PM

Ds didn't actually nurse all that much at 4, but he's still going and is almost 8. I almost wonder had I nursed him more at 4 maybe he would have been done by now. Who knows?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#6 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 AM

DD showed absolutely NO interest in stopping at 4 and at 5. She eventually stopped almost overnight right after turning 6. She's turned 6 in October and has not nursed since, so I think we're done.

I never, ever, would have guessed she'd wean so suddenly, but there you go...

#7 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 PM

My DS1 is almost 5 and still nursing avidly, less during the day than he did a year ago, but still frequently.

My DD (currently 8 yrs old) was also an avid nurser at age 5, when she was 6 I got pregnant with DS2 and over the course of that pregnancy and DS2's newborn months she nursed less and less. When DS2 was born if she did nurse it was only for a short time and then she would say "the rest is for the baby."  She weaned quite slowly over the course of the year between when she was 6 and 7, and even nursed a small handful of times after turning 7. I don't know that her weaning was entirely child led... there were definitely times during my pregnancy when I did not feel up to nursing two children at once, especially at night, and I would ask her to wait until her brother was done, by that point she was often asleep or had moved on to a new activity and was no longer interested. I do know that she was both happy to be able to nurse and happy to give most of the milk to the baby once DS2 was born and I tried to be sure she never felt pressure to wean. Even if it wasn't totally child-led, it did happen mostly on her time-line.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#8 of 8 Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM

My twins nursed until 5 1/2  (DD) and 6+ (DS).  At 4, they were also night weaned but still nursed a lot during the day.   We also found it wasn't really a gradual decline; they'd suddenly drop multiple nursing sessions at once for various reasons (giving up naps, Mom getting up earlier in the morning, Dad taking over bedtime routine, etc.).  By the time they weaned, they only nursed in bed at night before falling asleep.  DD weaned very abruptly, DS more gradually by sometimes skipping nursing at night and gradually shortening the length of his nighttime nursing.  By the time he stopped, he was nursing for maybe 30 seconds and I wasn't producing more than drops of milk.

Cheri
fencing.gifDD and DS are 11 & toddler.gif DD is 4    hbac.gif  Our car is a bike!bikenew.gif

Sharing our homeschool.gifwith 3cat.gif, 2 dog2.gif & 4 chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page