Mothering Forum banner

Cramping while Nursing & Pregnant

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TiredX2 
#1 ·
My nursing son is 3 years old and I'm 21 weeks pregnant. My milk supply vanished pretty early and he's been happily dry nursing since then. Right now though, I seem to be going through a hormonal change -- suddenly having lots of constant watery discharge when I was previously dry, milk is returning...lots of Braxton Hicks, but the past two days they've turned into small crampy contractions. The contractions are frequent throughout the day but they always occur when he nurses, and keep going for a while after that. Can this be normal or is it a sign that he should be weaned? I have a midwife appt tomorrow to check things out.

#2 ·
normal. I nursed DD through my pregnancy with DS, and I had contractions when she nursed from the beginning. I carried him 19 days longer than I carried her, so definitely didn't go into labor earlier because of it. The only time you need to wean because of contractions is if you have been put on pelvic rest or bed-rest.

#3 ·
Thanks. No need for any more responses to my post -- it turns out the contractions were just helping to get my already lost pregnancy on its way out. At my appointment today we found there's no heartbeat, I've lost weight and my uterus is smaller. So I'm waiting to have the miscarriage. I'm kind of nervous about what is going to come out of me! But we suspect that development stopped several weeks ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.