CLW and the Newly Nursing AGAIN Toddler? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd love to hear some thoughts about this-  I am currently breastfeeding my 11 month old.  I also have 26 month old twins.  They were born at 28 weeks gestation and I breastfed them (along with pumped, used donor milk and a few formula trials) for 7 months.  My son was 'good' at nursing, but never cared for it beyond nutrition.  He didn't comfort nurse, or nurse to sleep, or even hang around much past my let downs.  My daughter was the opposite.  She was addicted to breastfeeding.  She could nurse for 45 minutes every time she ate, loved to cuddle, comfort suck.  The only problem was that she never learned to transfer more than 1.5 ounces of milk in a feeding (even after 45 minutes or more).  

For a variety of reason, I weaned them at 7 months to Neocate Formula.  They were severely Failure to Thrive (she was only 7lbs), allergic to EVERYTHING I ate and I was 10 weeks pregnant with my 4th.  They were exclusively fed this formula until 15 months old, when their guts were mature enough to handle some foods.  They weaned completely from the formula to alternative milks a few months prior to their 2nd birthday. 

Fast forward to now-  She has been interested in breastfeeding again!!!  I'm thrilled, I think...  She kind of messed around the first few times she tried and just giggled and babbled "nurth", her word for nurse.  These last two times, though, she has latched and transfered lots and lots of milk!!! 

This is great- I had always felt that she had been robbed of our nursing relationship.  I am completely fine with nursing her again, but I don't know ANYTHING about nursing a toddler.  My oldest self weaned at 14 months (no joke), and my youngest is only 11 months.  What kind of boundries do you set with your older ones?  Do you offer, wait for them to ask?  I've always held true to CLW in my ideals, even though circumstances didn't allow with my twins.  What are the chances that this will turn into a full on nursing toddler?  Do I still need to make sure that my youngest is getting the majority of my milk for the next few months until she is more dependent on solid foods (she is a BLW nibbler, nothing much, yet)?  What do you think about this, in general?  It just seems normal to let her nurse.  The thought crossed my mind, in regards to telling her no, but that just doesn't feel right. 

Thanks in advance for you opinions-  this is WAY over my head right now! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have no advice, sorry.. but I can say that it seems totally understandable that she would want to nurse. DW nurses our 10mo and also takes full time care of a  24 mo. Just recently the 24mo has started to really notice and think about the nursing that she sees. She's commented on whether or not other people nurse, if she can nurse, if her mommy could nurse with her.. and then when that didn't get her very far she just flat out asked DW to nurse. Because she's not ours we are both standing strong with the gentle no answer... but if she was ours and was coming back to it after a long break it would seem totally normal, natural and wonderful..

So, good luck, I think it's great!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page