Planning to tandem nurse---- looking for some input for experienced mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure the best place to post this, but I reckon I will find plenty of tandem nursers in the CLW forum :) I'm 7 weeks out from baby number 2. DS just turned 2 and still nurses a few times a day. Not for long and I've been without milk for awhile. We gutted it out through the full-on dry-nursing-oh-my-gosh-this-is-annoying phase and now he gets just a little colostrum, but he seems to be just fine with whatever is coming out. I have no plans to wean him in the next 2 months and would like to nurse the both of them. I am, however, a bit intimidated by the whole thing. It seems that I read so much about how CHALLENGING it is. And how the older nursling can be difficult, or wanting to nurse all the time, or that having two nurslings makes the mama want to tear her hair out and that the toddy's nursing style can be so annoying compared to new one, etc. I guess I'd just like to hear a some people chime with more of the joys of tandem nursing. I get that it can be tough, I'm not trying to shy away from that fact. But I'd love to hear any encouraging words or stories that people want to share about being glad that they chose to nurse more than one. I have "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" and it certainly doesn't candy coat anything in there.... again, most of what I've read makes the whole prospect seem quite intimidating, but I see my 2-year-old still benefiting from the nursing bond and want to keep it going....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 PM

my two are 22 months apart and we're 5 months in ti tandem nursing. It's not a cake walk, but at this point it's much easier than it was in the first couple months. I'm so happy I stuck it through, I still have all the benefits of nursing a toddler, emotional and physical, and while she sometimes still asks to nurse while the baby is nursing, she's now pretty good at sharing. also, both kids have posterior tongue-ties, so DD had a lot of weight gain issues, and by the time the baby was a month old she finally chuncked out enough that she's a normal weight. and DS was able to get milk more easily because my supply was so large, so his weight gain was better and I didn't have sore nipples. 

Marissa, Partner to J geek.gif, SAHM to A (05/09)fly-by-nursing1.gif and I (03/11)stork-boy.gif. we cd.gif
selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.giffemalesling.GIFecbaby2.gif part-time and familybed1.gif through infancy. planning ahomebirth.jpg
#3 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 02:37 PM

If you'd like to maintain your nursing relationship with your son, then go for it!  I'd echo what Marissamom says about the first few months being hard, but keep in mind that with two under 2, the first few months are going to be hard regardless.  Nursing can make the transition and hard stuff more navigable for the older child.  I don't know how I would have survived two, and then three without it.  We would have, but it probably would have taken more creativity on my part :)  Unless challenges outside the norm (ie, breastfeeding difficulties with the new babe) pop up, there will usually be positives along with the everyday challenges.  It's so wonderful to all cuddle in as a trio to nurse sometimes!  Keeps the toddler occupied, at least for a few minutes, during those times when you need quiet.  The toddler can be great - and sometimes euphoric - at handling postpartum engorgement.  Rest assured that there are many mamas here who have tandem nursed at least once.  It's nice to have a community where people can talk you down some days and completely "get" the sweet times and triumphs that come, too.  I'm nursing three and can see more positives than negatives these days.  Definitely feel that it's worth it!  

Lots of luck and best wishes for a wonderful birth!!

SAHM to three homebirth nurslings 

#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM

I agree with pp. The first couple months are the toughest ones.My first nursed on demand until the day my second one born. I'm glad she enjoyed the exclusivity for her 3+ years. I started to set some limits for my second. She end up nursing for another 3 years. I'm very proud of my girl and myself.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM

I'm currently tandeming my two boys who are 7 months and 34 months. For me at first it seemed great, but DS1 constantly wanted to nurse ALL THE TIME. It wasn't just at first, it lasted for months. He seriously did nurse more than the baby. When I realized I was resenting his nursing I ended up putting some limits on when he could nurse. I've found that while it's not something I would have planned to do, I needed to do it for my sanity.

I have to say, it is super cute to nurse them both together. The way they interact with each other is so precious.

#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 PM

I have tandem nursed my 2 sons and it's wonderful!  My older was 2.5 when ds #2 was born.  I think it really helped with jealousy.  And it was sweet to watch them nurse together sometimes.  They would hold hands!  I almost never nurse them together these days.  They are now 4 and 1.5.  

You might have to set some limits, like I don't nurse my older ds during the night.  

Having an older nursling is fun too.  They talk about nursing and the things they say are rather interesting.  

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page