Beautiful CLW with my 7yo DD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-25-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I should have posted this here instead of/or in addition to Bf'ing beyond Infancy.

So here it is;

I asked dd the other day if she is done bf'ing and she said yes. I can't remember the exact day her last nursing, but it was in the past couple weeks. I am quite certain this is it. I feel good, she feels good.

If you would have asked me 7 years ago that I would bf this long, I would have thought, "my that is quite old". I never had a timeline for weaning. I just kept going because it worked for us.  It is funny, she would have a birthday and I thought, "yup, she is definitely not done, I am pretty sure she will go another year or two". I have said that for the past 6 birthdays. I always knew I would bf, I think it is beautiful seeing a mother and baby connected both being nourished and nurtured. Sure, there were times I would have liked it to end, but not because of bf'ing, because mothering is a hard job. I needed a break from it. I see the results of this attachment. My dd is secure, beautiful(in and out), very healthy, confident child that I attribute to responding to her needs. Sometimes those needs are fulfilled with bf'ing, bringing her back to where she needs to be again and to go back to life's challenges. I never realized how helpful bf'ing is during the toddler years until I was in it. They helped with tantrums so much. I can't imagine not having this amazing tool. And for illnesses as well. DD was not sick much,  it helped her recover quickly too.  Then, of course when ds came along and I needed some relief soon after his birth, she was so happy to help. Easily the last 3 years it has dropped off significantly. Maybe only 1-3/month for a few minutes at home. She never asked in public after she turned 4.

Sometimes I wonder if she would have gone this long if she didn't have a younger brother who is 4 years younger. Perhaps he was born, b/c she needed to bf for 7 years. It will be interesting to see how long ds will go. He is far from being done and turning 3 in November.

I have heard it all.."she won't learn to self soothe, she won't ever sleep in her own bed or through the night if I keep nursing her, you need to not nurse her so she will eat food, you are spoiling her, you are giving in to her". She does sleep in her own bed, she does sleep through the night, she eats food and she is far from being spoiled.

I have learned to trust myself and my dd, to follow her needs and mine. And put the outside world at bay who may be unsupportive and uninformed about bf'ing. I have learned so much about mothering through bf'ing and I am grateful for my supportive friends and community.

Some of you may read this and think, "awe this is gross, I can't imagine bf'ing my child for so long" especially if you have a 7 yo. Think about why you feel that way before you judge.

This has been a long, beautiful and oh, so, gentle weaning. This has been our path.

jammomma and jlsmama like this.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#2 of 8 Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks for sharing your lovely story. It's inspiring to hear positive stories about CLW and breastfeeding. smile.gif
#3 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Congratulations!  Are you going to celebrate in any way?

#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Thank you for sharing!  My DD is a little over 5 and she's still going from time to time.  It's nice to know that we aren't alone out there!

#5 of 8 Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Congratulations!  Are you going to celebrate in any way?

I don't think so. It has been so little for so long, that in some ways it is a little anti-climatic. I have thought about making a weaning photo album though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendodd View Post

Thank you for sharing!  My DD is a little over 5 and she's still going from time to time.  It's nice to know that we aren't alone out there!

That is for sure. Every once in a while I would post a thread about any "older" nurslings out there. I was curious where everyone was on their path and what it looked like.

Mindfully parenting DD 8/04 & DS 11/08, Human beings are the only mammals who do not nurse their offspring to full term.
#6 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Thanks for sharing.

My DS is 5. I weaned my oldest just after his 5th birthday. My youngest has told me over and over again that he doesn't want to wean. I keep telling him he has to, because I am soooo done nursing. We are down to nursing just once every 2nd night and I am getting ready to talk to him about cutting if off completely. I am frustrated and feeling pressure from my husband to wean him cold turkey.

It is awesome that you felt freedom to nurse until she was 7! I wish I had more support around here. I know in my heart that CLW is the right thing to do, but no one else in our lives has the heart that I do. *sigh*

Thanks for the inspiration and the great story!!

#7 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM

i'm keeping on too. my DD is 5. i let her nurse every night for a few minutes before bed. she still asks me if she can still nurse when she's a teenager! (cute, i think, since it obviously won't happen; i'm sure she'll quit on her own by then.) but i know nursing is very important to her psyche. she is the most confident, outgoing kid off all her many friends. i think she is lucky. i, personally, was nursed for all of six weeks.

what a gift to give your daughter "as long as she likes."

#8 of 8 Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sweet story.   Congratulations! 

Incidentally mine weaned at 5 ... later when I would tell people that she weaned all by herself she would start protesting and say that she actually wanted to nurse more.  So I have avoided phrasing it like that.  I wouldn't have minded if she kept going, but she didn't ... she misses it though.  Sweet memories.

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page