Mothering Forum banner

Sonshine is weaned, my heart is aching, blood pressure is high

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Penny4Them 
#1 ·
Dear Mommas,

I always find comfort and support here, for which I am so thankful. I'm writing because I feel so sad and confused.

My Sonshine is 2 1/4 and is now completely weaned. It makes me very emotional to think about this and what has happened.

Over the past few months, he dropped from 5 times a day to once or twice a day until about 2 weeks ago. He was completely leading the way to weaning. 2 weeks ago I went away from him for a couple days and my blood pressure went sky high. I didn't pump while we were apart as I figured when I returned to him I'd nurse if he wanted to as my supply is very low anyway, and we were nearing the end. When I returend to him, I nursed him a few times, but still didn't feel very well (headaches and weird massive urination).

I suspected a UTI and went to see my doc last week and my bp was high--not a UTI at all. I'm convinced it's because of hormonal changes due to no nursing, (I'm only about 5 lbs overweight and I eat pretty healthfully) BUT my doctor's office is not convinced. They insisted it was too high and that I needed to go on medicine. They started me on a med that has made me terribly exhausted and even more emotional, but at least my BP is down.

Now I can no longer nurse my son at all because of the medicine. He and I are so very sad about this, but he has been so sweet and just says "All gone?" and I say, yes, it's all gone. Breaks my heart. WE now have cuddles at night, but still he asks me for it.

Can someone share with me some info about what to expect now that I am no longer nursing at all? Has anyone here experienced or read about changes in blood pressure? I'm so hoping my bp will go back to normal in a couple months so I can get off the medicine. I'm so sad about all this and feel like I've been robbed of the last few times that we probably would've nursed. The good news is my bp is under control on the medicine, but my heart is hurting from the stress of this and the sadness.

Thanks for any words or advice.

Much love,

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you Mamas. It's been quite a time for me. Originally I was on metoprolol (safe for nursing) but I had a bad side effects, including depression and memory loss. It was hard to determine what was due to the medicine and what was due to my high blood pressure. The doc moved me from that class of medicine to another one, and now I'm on lisinopril, which is not safe for bfing but it has lowered my bp to a safer level. I finally feel good and like my normal self again.

It's been a month now since we last nursed. I'm very sad about all of this, and especially how we had to stop immediately. We were doing so well, just following his lead. I'm trying really hard to focus on the 2 years 4 mos my son and I had nursing, but still I feel like I robbed him of something. Like I let him down foor not fighting harder and knowing what to ask for from my doc.

Sonshine and I talk about it all the time, and he says "All gone Mamoo?" (that's what he called it, andcow milk is moomoo.)and I say, yes, it's all gone. Thankfully the last few times we nursed, my milk was all but gone anyway, so he has a comprehension that my breasts didn't have very much to offer him, but still I wouldn've like to comfort him by nursing through the transition.. It was probably the stress of everything that led to my drying up.

I fought so many things for 2 years to continue nursing. My pediatrician, my dh, stigmas in my family and it makes me so sad.

Thank you for your support and kindness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.