How will I know they are ready to wean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am nursing 15 mth old twins. They still actively nurse at least 5 times a day. My boy wakes in teh night to nurse still, but usually for just a few minutes.

Im afraid they are getting close to weaning. They dont constantly want to nurse, only when they are sleepy or when they first get up in the morning. tonight when i had my glass of milk after dinner, instead of asking me to nurse as they normally would, the two of them tag teamed my glass of milk. They did nurse afterwards and fell asleep.  

i always said that i would let them wean themselves. its not a bad thing, i KNOW that. but emotionally i dont think i am ready for them to wean. how selfish is that?

how will i know are they ready? will they just stop asking?

more so, how do i prepare myself for them weaning?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 PM

hug2.gif

First, "Don't offer, don't refuse" is considered a weaning technique for young toddlers (until about 2-2.5).  If you want to CLW, you'll want to make sure you are still offering frequently during the day.

I don't think you probably need to ready yourself for them weaning just yet.  If you're with them during the day, offering several times a day, there is a pretty good chance you have at least another year of nursing ahead of you!

For *most* (not all, but most) children who CLW, weaning is a very gradual process.  Some children hold on to the last nursing for weeks, months or even years.  You can also have a child who nurses only every few days or even less frequently. 

Good luck and CONGRATS on making it this far with twins!  You're doing great.

#3 of 3 Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

hug2.gif

First, "Don't offer, don't refuse" is considered a weaning technique for young toddlers (until about 2-2.5).  If you want to CLW, you'll want to make sure you are still offering frequently during the day.

I don't think you probably need to ready yourself for them weaning just yet.  If you're with them during the day, offering several times a day, there is a pretty good chance you have at least another year of nursing ahead of you!

For *most* (not all, but most) children who CLW, weaning is a very gradual process.  Some children hold on to the last nursing for weeks, months or even years.  You can also have a child who nurses only every few days or even less frequently. 

Good luck and CONGRATS on making it this far with twins!  You're doing great.

My youngest is never been a very demanding nursling, but I still continue offering at his 3 1/2 yo. 15 months old is way to early to be CLW. Anyway, we don't drink cows milk, and never motivate they drink milk form other mammal.

Mama of and , partners.gif with  Love

Tags
Child Led Weaning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page