I have no idea what to feed him. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From about six months on, we have been introducing solid foods to DS using the baby-led weaning approach. He is 9 months now.

Recently, he seems very gassy and uncomfortable, especially at night. He's also developed some hives on his skin, and a runny nose with no other cold symptoms. I noticed in the past two days, he's begun spitting up breastmilk, which is something he has never done in the past.

I'm wondering if we are feeding him something that he is perhaps allergic to.

I often feel at a loss as to what I should offer him in the way of food, so I usually end up offering him whatever we are eating, and I'm beginning to think this is a bad approach. I've read a few things on what not to feed, like wheat and such, but then I kind of feel like, okay, but what CAN I feed him?

Are there any books you mamas would recommend on foods I could try with DS that are hypo allergenic? I just need some guidelines, because whatever we're giving him now doesn't seem to suit him, and I really don't know what else to try. Our little man cannot live on sweet potatoes alone! ;)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So long as you don't consider solids his main source of food right now, eating just sweet potatoes is probably not a bad thing. He's only 9 months old.

I think the main thing when introducing foods is to do them one at a time initially, exactly so that you can tell when he's having a reaction to something. You certainly don't have to go the route of jarred foods--but take a look at what the "first foods" are and maybe use that as a guide. I'm remembering sweet potatoes, apple sauce, pureed pears. As a positive, if you back off on solids, he'll probably regain interest in nursing, both because he'll be hungrier and because he won't have a tummy ache from whatever's making him gassy.

The throwing up might not be an allergy so much as a kind of sensitivity that will pass as his digestive system matures. DD2, for example, had a terrible time with peas and with avocado--she liked the flavor and would eat some, but then would be throwing up later. Hives are definitely more of an allergic reaction, so if I were you, I'd go cold turkey on solids for a few days, until it clears, and then start again carefully.

Mom of two girls.
#3 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

We have backed off the solids. He's now eating bananas, sweet potato, rice pasta with pesto (he LOVES pesto) and nothing else. I've started bathing him in warm water and olive oil every night, and things seem like they are improving.

Unfortunately, I told daycare to only give him what I send with him, and yesterday I picked him up and they told me he ate a bunch of Cheerios. GRRRR.

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#4 of 4 Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Have you read the Baby-Led Weaning book?  It has suggestions regarding foods.  You can also find recipes, etc., on the website: http://www.babyledweaning.com/

cd.gif   trekkie.gif   hang.gif     dog2.gif

Tags
Child Led Weaning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page