Latching but not nursing - part of the weaning process? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

'Cause that's what our 2yr old is doing. She started doing it only at night, but now it occasionally happens during the day too. She'll latch on & then just sit there. I'll give her a few seconds and then tell her that if she's not gonna nurse, she needs to let go (it really does a mental number on me to have her just hanging there). Telling her to nurse or let go usually sends her into a temper tantrum. Has anyone else had this happen?

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Great, so no one on this board or the Kellymom board has ever had this happen? That's encouraging. ::(

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#3 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM

I'm there with you!  It's aggravating the you know what out of me!  My DS 19MO practically everytime I sit down wants to nurse but not really.  He just wants to sit there with my nipple in his mouth without sucking.  What I learned and he throws a fit everytime is to lay down when he wants to "nurse."  When I'm done sit up slowly as to not cause injury to your nipple from teeth ouch!  It's funny and stupid but I was watching some nature show.  It showed calves with their mothers and when the momma was done  nursing she did two things tug her nipple out and walk away.  That is what gave me the idea kinda funny in hindsight!!  Another thing is squeeze your breast since that will squirt some milk in her mouth.  

I'm torn between wanting to wean but that's an entirely other matter.  Good luck! 

#4 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Last year, DS often did what you described, but I don't think it was part of weaning... more like a fluctuation in milk supply or something. He seemed to be just hanging out waiting for milk to flow, or maybe he was bored/distracted... but he wasn't weaning.

Now, he IS weaning, and he is latching and not nursing, but he comes off immediately. Like he just latches to reassure himself that he can and then half a second later he asks for the other side & then he's done. So it looks different from what you describe... at least with DS.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#5 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 AM

My DD just started doing this, but she's only 9mo, so she's obviously not weaning. I think she's just hanging out (being a bit lazy LOL), waiting for the letdown. shrug.gif

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#6 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I think it's part of weaning, but don't expect him to wean anytime soon! For toddlers, nursing is so much more than food, it's also connecting with mom and it helps soothe them and feel secure. Dd also likes to stay latched on, even though I feel I have no more milk at a certain point during the day, and she's not even sucking! But she's been doing this for a year and she is still nursing.

caffix.gif

#7 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone! Lulu0910, ugh, your little one is even younger than ours - hope this doesn't last long for you. If 2yr old decides she's had enough, I'm done too - I'm ten weeks pregnant & had some terrible reactions (I think it's called "breastfeeding aversion", if I remember correctly) with her sister when she was born. I'd like to skip that this time. 

#8 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Both my daughter and son did this before they weaned themselves. My son did it whenever he wanted contact with mama and a hug and a cuddle was just not enough. My daughter started nursing less and less and then went down to nursing only when she got hurt (a fall or a bump or something...) But then she completely stopped sucking and began just latching after her little run ins. I knew it was not going to last so I tried to hold on to those moments as much as possible. Then one day, I realized it had been like a long time since her last latch. I was sad that I never really KNEW her last latch was her last, you know? 

If it helps they were both around 3 when they totally weaned. 

#9 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 AM

Ahh I didn't realize you were pregnant. Is it possible that your supply has dipped? Even if it hasn't, the taste of the milk could be changing. I know many moms who have used this time in pregnancy to wean because it seems to be an easier time.

(And I totally get the BFing aversion, I have had that pretty much ever since DS was born 3 years ago, and I am pretty happy about him weaning himself!!! Still bittersweet because he is getting big and all, but it will be great to not have to nurse him anymore!!)

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#10 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

As far as supply goes, since milk comes out when I squeeze them as well as when she nurses (even if it's just her screwing around like she's doing right now), and everything else seems normal, and she nurses at other times of the day, I don't think that's it. But then I've never really understood how women gauge their supply when they have no way to measure it (that is, when the only time milk is expressed, it's expressed into a person, by that person).

As far as taste goes, she hasn't mentioned it, so I have no way of knowing. The little bits I've tried seem normal, but she's the expert, not me. :)

#11 of 12 Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFox05 View Post

But then I've never really understood how women gauge their supply when they have no way to measure it (that is, when the only time milk is expressed, it's expressed into a person, by that person).

I can tell the difference between a full breast and an empty or half full breast lol. Also, I can see when dd is sucking and not swallowing.

caffix.gif

#12 of 12 Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, that makes sense. The only time I can notice a difference is when a very young newborn has missed/is late for a meal. 

Tags
Child Led Weaning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page