DD weaned :-( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is about to turn one in a few days.  My intent was to keep nursing her at least once a day until she decided she had enough.  But the problem is that she has decided, and now i am heartbroken.

We have had a rough few weeks.  I broke one of my elbows and was unable to nurse her when I was home alone with her because I couldn't position her correctly.  Because of this, she started on milk during the day right around 11 months which was earlier than I had hoped, but you have to do what you have to do.  (I have never really been able to get anything pumping even when I didn't have a broken arm.) 

Anyway, I figured I wouldn't have a problem still nursing her at night and first thing in the morning.  This worked for a couple of weeks, but then all of a sudden, she stopped and would scream at the top of her lungs when I would try to nurse her.  This was over a week ago, and I have stopped trying.

My best guess is that my milk dried up when I drastically reduced the feedings.  I have a hormone disorder, so I don't think this is really a stretch.  I haven't nursed in a week and yet I have had no engorgement or anything.

But really my reason for posting is to ask if any of you felt really sad after ending nursing.  I'm not depressed or anything like that.  I am just really mourning the loss of that bond. 

Mandy

www.indisposablemama.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hug2.gif

How frustrating for you - what an awful month you have had!

It sounds like your daughter is on a nursing strike. If you are interested, there may be ways to increase your milk and get her back to the breast. Kellymom has some good resources:

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/low-supply/

#3 of 3 Old 05-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

My DD stopped nursing at a bit over a year after a similar cutback (although not a similar run of events - I am so sorry for your broken elbow!)  We cut back because I went back to work, and then she cut some teeth, and refused to nurse in the evenings for about ten days, and then she just wasn't interested.  She still wanted to cuddle, and read (and still wants these things a year and a half later), but no nursing.

I was sad about it for a while.  I think internal authenticity is really central to maintaining sanity while parenting, so you have to let yourself process these things.

Tags
Child Led Weaning

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page