Nursing 22 month old felt intolerable....until I started EPO - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I am still nursing my 22 month old. There is no doubt in my mind that he still needs it emotionally and he nurses quite a bit (6-10 times in a 24 hour period, including at night, we co-sleep...but who's counting?:P)

Probably about 5 months ago I started ovulating again. Since then it had gotten progressively more awful for me to nurse him. My nipples get so tender and sensitive for much of my cycle. Combine that with his sometimes lazy toddler latch and I can barely stand the feeling of him nursing.  I tried Evening Primrose Oil (for a different purpose originally ) and it made a HUGE difference in the nipple sensitivity.  Before I started the EPO, I truly thought I would wean him due to it. I wanted to sob/scream/run away every time he would nurse, but once on the EPO I felt so much better, and like I could nurse him another year, easy.  

I stupidly ran out of it earlier this week. I ovulated about 4 days ago (I chart, so I know where I'm at in my cycle) and I honestly can't nurse right now. I just tried to nurse him and I had to unlatch him. I felt so awful.  It's not pain, it's just .... an overwhelming sensation.  Mothers who have nursed while pregnant likely know what I mean.  For what it's worth, right now if I didn't know better I would suspect I was pregnant! (Like I said, I'm charting, so I know I'm not)

So anyway. I don't know if my  experience is unique, or if it might help some other mothers who are having hormonal nipple sensitivity from their cycles returning.  I don't know if EPO can be taken during pregnancy or not.  But if a mom out there is at her wits' end with a similar problem, maybe give the EPO a try.  I was taking 1000mg 2 times per day.  I will be buying another bottle tomorrow! That will teach me to run out. 

Here is some information on kellymom:

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/#epo

I just wanted to share in case it helped someone else out.... thanks for reading :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much! I will definately give that a try. I have definately been experiencing this. My son just turned 2 and for the last about 2 months or so nursing has become increasingly uncomfortable and paired with a latch that has been getting worse (teeth marks in my nipple every time) I can barely stand it right now and am at the brink of weaning, though I would rather not as I know my son still needs and benefits from it. How long before it started to work for you?

#3 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CStone1 View Post

Thank you so much! I will definately give that a try. I have definately been experiencing this. My son just turned 2 and for the last about 2 months or so nursing has become increasingly uncomfortable and paired with a latch that has been getting worse (teeth marks in my nipple every time) I can barely stand it right now and am at the brink of weaning, though I would rather not as I know my son still needs and benefits from it. How long before it started to work for you?

Hmm..... I started EPO for PMS symptoms but the decrease in nipple sensitivity was a great side effect. It took me a little bit to figure out that it had helped make nursing feel better. I'm not completely sure but I think I really noticed a difference by the one week mark :) But it's hard to say because at certain points in my cycle it is worse than others. Vague answer, I know, but hope that helps! I guess EPO has other health benefits too, it is an essential fatty acid.  The other thing that I think helps somewhat for me is taking B-complex vitamins with a really high amount of B6. But the EPO really made the big difference, and helped me enjoy the nursing relationship again with my little guy.  And I am feeling it since I ran out. Heading out the door now to go buy more, actually.   

I also work with my toddler to open "wiiiide!" and "big mouth", soft mouth, nice mouth, gentle, no teeth (all things I say to him). I also say "big lips" and try to get him to flange his lips out since he tends to purse his lips and keep the latch shallow. Sometimes he gets annoyed if I fuss with him too much but I think his latch has improved a bit from that kind of gentle encouragement. 

I hope you get some relief too :)

#4 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Wow, thank you so much for sharing this!  I know many women go through a tough time around then--- maybe it's not something you just have to put up with :)

Thanks again!!!

#5 of 7 Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM

thanks!   I'll have to take a trip to the local coop!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#6 of 7 Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Wow this is exactly what's happening with my 21 month old, as soon as my cycle returned! That lazy latch is so awful and I couldn't describe it, I'm so glad you posted - it hadn't even occurred to me that there might be a helpful supplement for that, will try it!

#7 of 7 Old 06-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Thank you!!! I JUST posted about being frustrated. I have some EPO here and will give it a try. Cycle returned three weeks ago.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page