Diaper Abomination - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-17-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

DD is 7mos, EBF, and has been experimenting with solids for 3-4weeks now.  Mostly just fruits and veggies.  DH has gluten issues and DD has dairy/soy intolerance so we're in no rush.  She did get a rash after some GF oatmeal, but anyways, I had some chicken and spinach the other night and broke up some strips of chicken and pureed some spinach for her to try.  She loved the spinach! Wasn't too sure about the chicken.  I just changed what is the smelliest, messiest diaper I have ever seen in my life!!  In all my years babysitting various kids, never has anything smelled so bad - it was like cow manure but worse!  She filled her cloth diaper...front, back, everywhere.  Pretty sure I saw shreds of chicken in there but I was too busy dry heaving and gagging to do much investigating!  Anyone else experience this with solids, more specifically with meat?  She's been totally fine on the fruits and veggies.  Always nurses first so it's certainly not a large amount that she ingests...1-2tbsps at most.  Her wet diaper this morning also smelled like wet hay, DH thought I was crazy until I told him to take a wiff.  She's otherwise super healthy, takes probiotics every day in her bottle while I'm at work.  She's only partially vaxed and will most likely remain that way (had some bad reactions).  Any thoughts???

#2 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I think I would probably back off on solids a bit to the stuff that you know doesn't produce this reaction. The undigested chicken would tell me that kiddos belly isn't quite ready for that. Totally just my impression, and what I would do.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IME, meat-eating leads to disgusting, disgusting poop. We eat meat, DD eats meat. She potty-learned early thumb.gif

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-27-2012, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would offer a different perspective on this as our son has been through lots of issues with solids. Meat is easier for little ones to digest, usually. Raw and some cooked vegetables and fruits are harder as small children usually don't have the digestive enzymes to digest them. I would put spinach as a probable culprit. If your child has an issue with gluten, there may very well be an issue with grains..keep an eye on that..given your experience with oatmeal. I second backing off on the solids and slowly try different things by themselves, about a week apart. I know it's hard to do that when you watch how excited she is to try new things, but trust me on this one. :)  This is the mistake we made with our son and it took us forever to figure out what was causing the problem. In fact, he's just turning 2 years old and we just tried spinach and kale the other day and we ended up with undigested food in his stool too, and it was the apples he didn't completely digest, something that has never been an issue before. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page