Picky 3 yr old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son who has just turned 3 2 days ago is an EXTREMELY picky eater. He eats a handful of things, chicken nuggets, peanut & nutella sandwich & a few cereals, but even then, some days he doesn't even want those. He does have a like for snacks it's weird, he will try any snack but gets angry, upset, when I try to get him to try some food. I have tried to cut down on his snacks but since he doesn't eat anything it scares me so much that he will get sick so I cave in and get him better snacks; if there is such a thing. I've also tried to cut down on his liquid intake but that still doesn't seem to work. He won't even try anything! I am just running out of ideas & running out of my mind with worry & just wondering what I did wrong. Please if any one has had this problem or just has some ideas that might help I would greatly appreciate it! 

#2 of 2 Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of years ago, I would have told you to not worry about it and just keep introducing new and different things and reintroduce things he's rejected in the past, as they say you have to give them lots of chances to warm up to things.

Then I learned more than I ever wanted to learn about feeding issues, and it turns out that pickiness like this isn't always just behavioral. Or even if it is, there are people trained in helping kids overcome aversions like this, so you don't have to do it yourself! Ask your doctor or google around for a feeding therapist and schedule an evaluation. Feeding therapists are frequently speech language pathologists, and they may have connections with nutritionists as well. That will at least give you an idea as to what you can do to work through these issues, plus they could help identify any underlying habits or issues that may be contributing to his pickiness.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page