Considering Night Weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.

Im pregnant. I am slightly freaked out as the reality of how much life will change sinks in. DS is 15 months old now, he is very high need and needs lots of attention. Im only 6 weeks or so, so he'll be about 2 when the new LO comes. Im really stressed out about night time. DS is a VERY light sleeper. He currently goes to sleep in his crib and then wakes up to come to bed with me when he wants. he nurses all through the night, and usually wants to be laying on my stomach with my shirt up (or off) when he's not nursing. I cannot imagine having him and the new baby tugging at me all night to nurse. And I honestly am a little overwhelmed at the thought of it. Im considering night time weaning to see if that helps him sleep more soundly. Right now it seems like he nurses for a long time and i have to encourage him to lay his head down and go back to sleep. No one is sleeping, him or me, or my SO. Up until now i've been ok with that, but the thought of having to tend to a new infant is, again, overwhelming. 

advice? input? surely other mamas have been worried about this? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM

If I might suggest two things.. I would try to provide him alternative source of comfort before you start weaning...

For easing his need to nurse what worked for my daughter was to offer her water to drink

before bedtime and anytime she woudl wake up and ask for it.

I simply explained her that we need to sleep through the night wihtout nursing because mama's body needs to rest and mama can't make milk at night as mama could before so we have to

do something and help her to go theough the night, but mama will be happy to give you water as mama knows that you might be thirsty..

she loved the idea.. I simply took a sippy filled with water and she could have when she wake up and asked for nursing at first I offered water, and then she learned to just ask for water..

I realized that older kids get a bit of trouble to quit nursing and it is healthier to find transition, the water was raelly good transition as she could still continue the wake up and get something routine and not just get uspet about it, later on she would wake up less and less a night and finally

she would not to wake up but sleep through.

For comfort - if she was next to you and now she is supposed to sleep by herself

I did a side crib with open side, she had her space and  she was yet clsoe to me but not in my space, we both felt good about it as she could get her bedtime cuddle and then roll over to her space.. and also, we picked a little pillow in white sleep pillowcase, that is the size of the samllest pillows in the bed sets about the size of the printer paper page and she would cuddle with it,

it was her night buddy, she named it, and sometimes she would have other toy like

doll or soft plush and setting them up around the crib for the night inside for her to fall asleep helpt tremendously as this was all of the sudden her kingdom, her space and she wanted to be with her palls, knowing I am right there in case she needs me.

#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

those are all really good ideas. How old was your daughter when you began this? How long would you say it was until she was no longer nursing? After you explained this all to her the first time would you refuse to nurse anytime through the night or did you slowly take away the night time nursings?

Some of what you suggested might be a bit too advanced for my son to understand, but it is all definitely worth a shot!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page