ideas for handling child's sadness as milk starts drying up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

My DS is 3.5 yo and nurses usually just in the evening before bed and once in a while in the morning upon waking. it seems that i am at last starting to "dry up" - especially at certain points in my menstrual cycle. today DS complained all day that there was no milk this morning and kept saying how sad he was. we talked about the milk drying up because he didn't need it anymore, but that i would always be there to snuggle with him, give him a hug, talk, play, etc, even if he doesn't drink milk anymore ... it did not convince him at all and he was sad and clingy all day long. also he seems incapable of falling asleep without nursing unless he is truly exhausted.  any ideas for helping him with the transition? i'm not pushing weaning, but see that it might happen in the nearish future. how to make it easier on him, or help him see the positives of growing up?

thanks in advance.

laura

#2 of 3 Old 08-23-2012, 10:11 AM

I have nursed my lo for 6.5 and I remember being where you are, after a while it seems like milk is drying up but it is up to you what you do.. if you continue to nurse at this rate chances are the milk will balance and you will get milk anyways, other iption is to supply for those few days when you are tired or have period to have more milk, my milk was alwyas low around the period and my daughter would complain a bit but it would come right back to the level. after a while I started taking alfalfa at those times, only organic one of course and only one dry leaves capsule a day afor maybe a day or two or so and that would kick up the production.

Most important thing is to relax, and if you are commited to go on your body will adjust and go on , if you are ready to quit then it might dry up but actually in my opinion it is rather the menstrual cycle that does it rather then actuall drying up the milk because milk production is brain based a lot so if you want to make milk and if you nurse him more frequently while ther is low or no milk just as with an infant your milk production will jump just the same so other way is just to ask him to nurse more times during the day when the milk is low or no milk and he will undarstand that this is the way to make it go up, that usually does the fast trick in a day or two.. brain somehow sends the message - wee neeed mooore millllk!

hugs

#3 of 3 Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your post MamaPrincess, and for sharing your experience. You are right that it correlates with my cycle. For now I think I'll let him still keep taking the lead and see where that takes us! I'm inspired by your 6.5 years. Thanks again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page