Need hearty finger-food ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are your go-to meal ideas for little self-feeders?  My 8-month-old has a wicked pincer grasp and LOVES to feed herself.  We have so far stuck mostly with fruits, vegetables and scrambled eggs.  I think it's time to step it up to heartier fare, but I need ideas!  For some reason I have felt very resistant to offering meat and wheat products (probably because I'm questioning whether I ought to be eating them myself), but then I feel guilty that all I'm giving her is "diet food!"  Looking for a healthy balance and some easy, nourishing ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Avocado chunks are great. They are high fat/high calorie and great first food. I also do roast chicken pieces - dark meat since it's moister and fattier - and cheese cubes. DD loves whole wheat noodles with pesto, the smaller pastas are perfect fOr little hands. DD also devours plain French toast made with whole wheat bread. It's easier to handle than scrambled eggs and gets whole grains into her. Fish is another favourite as are steamed baby carrots. I hope that helps give you a few ideas :-)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page