Younger nursling weaning first? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone had this happen? My son has significantly less interest in nursing than my daughter ever has. DD is 5, DS is 2.5. I think it is likely he may wean on his own before she does. I am ready for her to be done, but she isn't quite yet so we have a "plan" that she will be done on or before her sixth birthday. No pressure from me, but I initiated the conversation. I think it likely that DS might be done before then, he will be 3 and 4 months when she turns 6. 

Anyone with experience want to chime in and tell me about a younger nursling losing interest first? 

Thanks!

Marissa wife to Michael
mommy to Lorien 10/17/07 and Cyprian 6/5/10
#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM

I asked this awhile back as my younger one seemed to have less interest than my older child. My older one still ended up weaning first. But some people did reply of seeing this happen. One poster mentioned that it happened to her. Her younger sister weaned first and then her mom made her wean too.

#3 of 3 Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Yes, this happened to us.

My kids are 21 months apart. My older daughter "weaned" during pregnancy when my milk dried up, but then started again after her baby brother was born. They tandem nursed until my son was 18 months old, when he self weaned first. My older daughter continued nursing until she was 6.

I think my milk dried up around the time my son weaned, when my daughter would have been around 3. It was dry/comfort nursing for her after that, and not very often.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page