Worrying about choking too much...help:) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Okay. I'm worrying about ridiculous things and I know it, I just can't seem to get over it:)

My daughter is 8 months now and she is formula fed (my older three were all breastfed but it didn't work out with her). I started her on cereal a little over a month ago. Quickly added pureed fruits. I'm just at a loss for what to give her now. We do the rice rusks, cereal puffs, etc but I'm so worried she's going to choke if I move up to other things.

Did anyone else go through this? How do you get beyond it?

#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM

Sounds like your little one is doing a great job with her cereal.....You can wet the rice puffs or cereal with a little formula. It helps them to dissolve more quickly. She will learn.

Kids have great gag reflexes so as long as the pieces are small she will do fine.  As you know, the more she eats the more comfortable you will get just like your older children.

I wonder, are you worried about other things too and do you feel sad or stressed? If yes, please ask for help and tell your doctor.  If not, I will say I worried about choking but then watched my kids eat and over time my worrying got less

#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

This is just such a new experience for me and I think that's most of it:) I was able to breastfeed all three of the others and pretty much solely did breast milk for the entire first year with all three. And my next youngest is 9 so I am very out of practice:)

Back then I remember my doctor making a pretty big deal about babies choking, only giving age appropriate foods, etc. so everything got cut up very tiny for them for quite a while. Reading up on child-led weaning is such a new thing for me but I'm loving it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page