Conflicted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I work the night shift 1-2 nights per week.  During this time my 34 month old son is watched by Grandma, or his Dad at my house.  They each do things their own way, which is letting him watch tv until 10 at night, and fall asleep on the couch.  Neither wants to do "bedtime".  

I've had the hardest time finding other childcare for him because he wakes at night and can't go back to sleep without nursing.  Grandma and Dad turn the tv on and let him drift back to sleep (out of desperation).  They say that way he cries 5-10 min and is right back to sleep.  

I'm interviewing a nanny tomorrow who will live with us so Grandma and Dad don't have to come stay with me.  I know she and I will be able to establish a routine.  However....

My son and I co-sleep and he still nurses 4 times a day (to go to sleep and to wake up, for the night and for nap).  Two weeks ago we moved to a bigger house where he can now have his own bed.  This seems like a great time to get him in his own bed, and weaning, so he has the same routine daily from nanny and myself.  Despite the fact I don't WANT to push him out of my bed, or force weaning.  I have been determined our great nursing relationship wouldn't end in tears.  

Starting Aug 1 I took the leap, an told him my breasts are hurting (showing him band aids) and that we're all done nursing.  He seems to be accepting it: He will ask to nurse then immediately say "nursing is all done, cuddle?".  Aug 1 he napped ok, though it took awhile to get to sleep, he woke up grumpy but was ok, fell asleep at night much the same.  Then he woke up in the middle of the night screaming, hysterical, and inconsolable.  This lasted for an hour.  He finally fell asleep (poor guy).  Then he didn't nap today (I believe because he couldn't nurse).  

I am questioning whether it's a good idea to impose so much change on him all at once: the move, potty training, his own bed, weaning, new care giver, preschool, all in a month's time.  (I'm looking for signs of distress, and so far don't see any.  But I'm a single mom unpacking, applying to grad school, trying to find him a preschool, potty training, nanny-hunting, etc.)  Some of my friends say it's good to get all the changes done in one fell swoop - it's a big adjustment period - but they're settled into their new routine asap and it's not ongoing little changes all the time.  

Insight?  Feedback?  I'd love some.  Thank you!   

#2 of 3 Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 AM

I think weaning works best as a gradual thing. Cut out feedings slowly.

#3 of 3 Old 08-05-2013, 07:01 PM

I'm all for gradual everything, lol.  

We have found that it worked best for us to make a change during the day first, give it a week or more until things are smooth, then do the same at night.  (ie; stopped swaddling for naps first, then stopped swaddling for nighttime sleeping a week later)

I think the whole being in a new bed, new house is a lot of change....maybe just cut back on the nursing a bit at a time?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page