13 mo. old biting and now refusing to nurse! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

13 Month old started biting at every nursing (6-7 xs/day) yesterday and now is totally refusing to nurse at all.  She gets angry if I offer and she'll open up and bite so that I'll put her down!  I gave her a dose of Tylenol to see if it was teething, but it had no effect.  Could she be weaning?  I am so upset.  

She's a very large baby (27 lbs) and has always nursed frequently and not taken much solids.  Now all of a sudden she's eating more than my 5 & 3 year olds and wants everything she sees us eating.  I haven't given her anything but a couple of ounces of water to drink at meals/or with a snack.  I am pumping and hoping she comes back, but I don't know.  She's so tempermental!  I love nursing - she's my last baby and she's the first out of 3 that I've been able to nurse to 1 year.

#2 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 AM

How's it going for you? I'm sorry I can't offer advice.
#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
If you haven't already read up on nursing strikes. Kellymom is supposed to have good information. So sorry this is happening to you.
#4 of 5 Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, it's now been almost 2 weeks (tomorrow), and she is absolutely refusing.  She has tasted but not latched on, except for one time after a nap but when she fully woke and realized what was happening she was angry.  She snuggles, and cuddles and even raises my shirt at bedtime but only for the closeness.  I know that she is teething, but it will be a long process and it looks like there are 4-6 on the top coming down.  (my son used to get 4-6 teeth at one time too)

I am still pumping 3 times/day and fully emptying, and offering, sleeping with her, etc. in hopes that she will return.  I was hoping that this was a strike, but I have to prepare for the worst.  I am so sad.  We worked extremely hard for this, and it was hard on the whole family.  I had hoped to have a honeymoon period until she was at least 2.   I always go to kellymom first, but unfortunately this situation (as many others I have had) isn't fitting in to the standard advice.  I wonder if some babies simply do not nurse until 2; that she's had her needs met and is moving on.  She's developing at lightening speed, especially in fine motor skills and she has quite a personality.  It's been lovely to have experienced nursing exclusively for the first time after 3 babies.  I feel very lucky. 

#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM

Wow, thank you for updating. You sound wonderful! Things may change, but big hugs to you in the mean while. :-)
Clover Honey likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page