So, I wana do CLW, but how do you go about it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 10 mo old is starting to self wean during the day.  And by self wean, I mean suck for two minutes, bite, and move away and wail her special mom-I-want-finger-food-please wail.  Its extremely painful to nurse her when she is like this, which is anytime she isn't about ready to nap or getting up from a nap.  She acts like she wants me every few hours anyway but this afternoon I gave her a bottle instead, and am about ready to just flat quit.  

Prenap, prebed, and in the very early morning, she nurses like a champ.  Is it normal for a baby to only want you three times a day at this age?  Does it even count as bf if its only a couple times a day?  Will my milk go away if she doesn't do the shorter nursings, I feel like I have a ton of milk now and I like that.  She sleeps all night so no night nursing.  Opinions! Ideas!  

#2 of 4 Old 08-23-2013, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Babies don't self-wean before 12 months (some people say before 2 years!) Before that age it is a nursing strike. If you want to continue feeding, the best thing to do is keep offering. When they're sleepy is a great time because they're less easily distracted.

You may need to start expressing to maintain your supply if you feel it's dropping off but otherwise just offer frequently and he will start feeding more sooner or later.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think bfing only around naps is pretty common. My 6 month old naps 2 or 3 times a day and is usually too distracted to nurse except to sleep or wake up. If your babe is still growing strong then I think you are probably fine.
Your milk supply may drop because its all she is asking for but I think there are positive sides to giving her your milk around naps. Its probably so comforting and its still giving her a ton of important nutrient and immune support.
#4 of 4 Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

It sounds like she is nursing:

1) In the early morning upon waking up

2) In the early afternoon before her nap

3) In the later afternoon after her nap

4) In the evening before she goes to sleep

That's four times a day. That's certainly less than my son nursed at 10 months, but perhaps that's all she needs. Does she nurse from both sides when she does nurse?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page