nightweaning leads to increased day demands? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

About 3 weeks ago I night-weaned by 18 month old DS. It was easier than I thought it would be and I'm loving the better sleep we are both getting. The first week he was still asking a few times in the night but when I said, "Not right now, you have to wait until the morning," he would go right back to sleep.  He'd forget to ask in the morning (which had never been our routine anyway) and so was eating breakfast better.  He's never been much of a breakfast eater, which I began to think was because he had been nursing all night and was full.  So the new routine seemed to be going well.  I got used to going from 8 pm to 5 pm the next day without nursing at all (he's in daycare during the day so if he didn't ask to nurse in the morning he'd go this long time).  On the weekends he was back to his normal asking to nurse a handful of times throughout the day. Last week we were home for the holidays and he began asking to nurse CONSTANTLY. Like more than once an hour, and pretty much every time I pick him up even if it's just to put him in the car seat or carry him out the front door.  He had a stomach bug that week so I wondered if that had something to do with it, and I figured the extra breastmilk would help him kick it, so I let him nurse quite a bit even though it seemed extreme to me. But this week we're back to our normal work/daycare routine, the stomach bug is gone, and he's still asking constantly when we're together (except at night when he sleeps well now).

Just wondering what could be going on, and how best to handle it.  I'd like to be able to have him wait longer between nursing but in many situations I don't have a particular thing I can hang the waiting on (e.g. at night I tell him he has to wait until morning and when we're commuting on the bus I tell him he has to wait until we get home).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-04-2013, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I would really worry that only nursing 3 hours a day would result in a huge drop in milk supply. Could you add in a morning nursing even if it is not in your usual schedule?

His constant requests for milk might be an attempt to increase a dropping supply.

Nice your night weaning went so smoothly.
#3 of 6 Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, spring showers. But why would supply matter at this age? He's getting most of his nutrition from other food.

#4 of 6 Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would nurse as much as he needs it, then see where it leads. You may notice your supply increases and then he may taper off a little, or that he had dropped weight during his illness and needs the extra milk, or he may need that extra bonding with you if he is nursing much less now. If he has decreased considerably in both night AND day feeds very quickly his body and mind may be having trouble adjusting to a very fast weaning. In other words there is a reason for the increased day feeds and it will become evident in time. It sounds like you are following your instinct already by nursing him whenever he needs it, the frequency is needed for a reason at this point. Good luck.
#5 of 6 Old 12-31-2013, 02:52 PM

I only work part-time but even those few hours apart make my LO very clingy and attached. I notice the days after a longer evening at work he wants to nurse more often (and in our case all night too). This may be his way of making up for that lost time and closeness you used to share at night. Just a thought.
#6 of 6 Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
He is getting a lot if his nutrition from food but until age 2 children need the nutrition that comes along with nursing, Vitamins, calcium etc. If you are going that long without nursing during the day and not night nursing is he on a milk substitute when your not with him. While I'm not a huge dairy advocate maybe a milk alternative such as coconut or almond milk( unsweetened) so he us getting the calcium.
I would let him nurse as often as he wants on weekends. Like others said he might miss his mama or he might be trying to make up for the lack in certain vitamins he may not be getting from food alone.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page