Low supply- dehydrated 34 month old with flu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My lo and I came down w/ a flu like illness on Sunday. Fevers, bodyaches etc. No vomitting. On mon and tues she had no fevers but was grumpy and clingy. Low appetite but able to play somewhat. I think nursing more than usual but its a blur- I was sick too.

Yesterday, i was better. She was extremely lethargic, sleepy. We nursed all day, constantly. I was feeling like thank god I can keep her hydrated and give her these antibodies.

Until late afternoon when i realized she hadnt peed at all. Not sure how long- at least 12 hours. I went into panic mode and pushed liquids on her until she peed a dark pee at 7pm and a lighter one at 10:30 pm.

Today she has a fever again, sleepy etc. Nursing non stop but i take short breaks to give her gerber electrolyte drink. One pee today so far.

I feel upset and confused and sad about my milk supply. Ive never had a let down reflex feeling. When she was an infant i had very abundant supply and all was good. Generally at her current age she nurses a few times a day still. Sometimes going all day w/out. But generally 2-4 times a day. But I feel stupid that yesterday I assumed I had enough to hydrate her. And I put her at risk. And now today, as she nurses and nurses and nurses, I am wondering if it's doing anything helpful at all? Will yesterday's marathon have increased supply for today's marathon?

Thank you for reading.

Mama to my daughter born in February 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Are you drinking lots of fluids yourself? Hon..you are sick too and your body needs that also...I would assume that because you are ill is the reason for your milk drop and would keep pushing lots of fluids for you both...it will come back....

I hope you guys feel better soon...Being ill is no fun at all.. :hug

#3 of 4 Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ugh you are right. I am so out of it and barely drinking as well. Thank you...

Mama to my daughter born in February 2011.
#4 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I recently went through a phase where I forgot to drink as much. I was amazed at the output change when I increased (lots more big gulps).

How you are feeling better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page