Does this mean we are weaning? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter turns 3 in April. For the most part, I love nursing her and she adores it. She still nurses when she wakes, as well as before nap and bed, and pretty much whenever she gets hurt or frustrated with life.

She is scheduled to have her first overnight visit with the grandparents starting this weekend. They will have her visit with them for 9 days (along with her 5 year old brother who frequently visits them for 1-3 weeks at a time). I agreed to this a while ago, thinking it would be more like 5 days, but it's sort of extended and grown and now I'm really coming to grips with the reality that this might be the end of our nursing relationship... and I don't think I'm ready. 

My daughter loves her grandparents. She talks about them often and likes to call them on the phone. They have Disney passes for this year, live by the beach, spend lots of time outside at playgrounds and riding bike, etc. They are wonderful grandparents and I think they should get to have this time with the two kids, their only grandchildren. Especially because we live about 7 hours away now, but will be leaving for international travel for the next 3-6 months or maybe more. The grandparents usually see the kids every month or two, so I feel bad that we are going to be so far away for so long.

It would be really convenient to go along with the plan as it is, because we have scheduled to get all the floors in the house refinished, walls painted, etc. in preparation for moving out and renting the house. It wouldn't be easy to have kids around during that time and my husband and I have TONS of work to do.

My husband and I have talked about my feelings and also both think that there are some logical benefits to hold onto nursing. Last time we traveled internationally, our little girl was just over 1 year old and despite our best efforts, her immune system got quite a workout. It was often hard to get her to even attempt to drink pedialyte or other fluids, and even more challenging for her to hold them down. The only thing she wanted was to nurse. It's also very convenient to nurse on long flights, of which we will have many. She also still nurses to sleep for nap each day.

What do you all think? Any words of wisdom? Can I give the grandparents and grandkids this time together and not lose my little nursling?

#2 of 7 Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Oh gosh that is a hard decision. Eek! What did you decide to do?
Hugs to you!
#3 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She's down in Florida, visiting the grandparents. They report that she hasn't been asking for me or anything (sniff). In some ways, it is perfect - we are doing some home renovation projects this week and the hubby and I are getting SO much more done without the kids here. We also had a huge snow storm and would likely have had the kids inside all day - instead they are living it up at Disney. My daughter LOVES Disney (a little more than I would like, but that's another topic) and so I'm glad for her to be getting to enjoy Florida weather, bond with her grandparents, and see Disney.

But I'm a little sad thinking it may be the end of our nursing relationship and she is probably my last. I've hand expressed a little milk each day in the shower, in case maybe she wants to try to keep nursing when she returns. Do you think there is any chance after 10 days of being separate? I don't think I was making all that much milk anymore - my breasts tend to be more like empty sacks these days. But she still got sips whenever she tried.

We are considering driving down this weekend (tomorrow) to reunite a bit earlier. But we would lose a lot of time on our house renovation and I know the grandparents have plans for this weekend too.

*sigh*

#4 of 7 Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Aww, now I am all sad. Gosh I makes me think of when I weaned my little guy. It is so bittersweet. Sending you more hugs!!
#5 of 7 Old 02-14-2014, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
You might find she wants to nurse even without milk. My dd did through my pregnancy. It is so new when they start growing up and you have more time isn't it?
#6 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nah....I'd  bet that if you offered to nurse her when she returns, she'll nurse. 

I went away without my then 3 year old for 8 days and left her and her brother with my parents while I was gone. She was absolutely happy and fine with me gone, and when she picked me up from the airport she hugged me and kissed me and told me she loved me. When we got home, and I asked her if she wanted to take a nap, and have some milk, she crawled into my lap and nursed :) She didn't wean until she was 4 years old :) 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#7 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
How did it go?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page