How old is/are your nursling(s) who are being CLWed? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How old is your nursling(s)
0-6 months 32 100.00%
7-12 months 50 100.00%
13-18 months 80 100.00%
19-24 months 45 100.00%
2 years old 87 100.00%
3 years old 66 100.00%
4 years old 32 100.00%
5 years old 13 100.00%
6 years old 4 36.36%
7 years old 3 27.27%
8 years old or older 2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first dd CL'd at 19 months when I was 6 months pregnant with dd #2.
My second is 18 months and going strong , so no weaning any time soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Baby ds is almost 18mos. old and still has his mama snacks daily and often and in public if he needs. No end in sight!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#63 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM

ds CLW at 12 mionths
#64 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Well I don't think I'll be here much longer as dd hasn't nursed in 2 days. Shes only 3.5 and Im a little sad but I guess she is ready.
#65 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Well I don't think I'll be here much longer as dd hasn't nursed in 2 days. Shes only 3.5 and Im a little sad but I guess she is ready.
Never know, though, some kids go like that for years. My DS is also a 8/01 baby so it's for me to think about kids his age CLW (thought I know they have and do).

#66 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 05:24 PM

My kids nursed until 4 and 5 so I voted "5" since I couldn't put in two votes.
#67 of 113 Old 01-05-2005, 07:05 PM

My baby is 9 months old, and I THINK I plan to do CLW. With ds, I gently encouraged him to wean at 2 years and 7 months, but I met no resistence and it felt almost effortless, so I know in retrospect he was pretty much ready. He's a kid who doesn't do ANYTHING without gentle encouragement! With dd, I hope I have the patience to let her wean completely on her own.
#68 of 113 Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
At the rate DD is going, we might make 6.

"What will you do once you know?"
#69 of 113 Old 01-07-2005, 12:13 AM

DS turned four on Tuesday... we're still at it. Things have slowed quite a bit over the last 6 months or so and he's starting to skip days here and there and even a 4 day stretch over the holidays. Feeling strange to be on this on and off path...

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#70 of 113 Old 01-08-2005, 02:10 AM

My oldest was gently weaned at 4, my second clw at one month before her fifth bday. My current nursers are two(25 months), and four weeks.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#71 of 113 Old 01-08-2005, 04:21 AM

My superman just turned 3 on the 5th and is still going strong! He nurses generally at night and upon waking in the morning. During the day it's different all the time. Most days nothing at all and others when he's tired or hurts himself and then of course those times where he's just having an off day and wants Mama. I love having this community to be "normal" in, it truly warms my heart.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#72 of 113 Old 01-08-2005, 08:19 PM

I have two boys nursing, 3.5 and 13 months... knowing that I planned on BF for 6 weeks, it's going very well! How things changed, and I'm so glad they did. I'm really glad this forum is here because I've struggled with nursing the oldest lately- it's that whole fingernails on a chalkboard thing that I haven't experienced since I was pg. No sign I am now- just working through a phase.
#73 of 113 Old 01-09-2005, 01:10 AM

My dd is nearly 1 so I voted 6-12 months. I'd like to CLW although I'm having patience issues at times as I work full-time and she's a strong sucker, pincher and biter along with the usual toddler monkey climbing.

I did not put ds as I did not get to nurse him as he was tube fed for 16 months but he does ask to nurse and I do allow him. He has no suck so he just puts his mouth to my nipple and squeezes his lips together and he's happy and he's off playing again. Makes me nervous to put that out there but I figure that if anyone would be supportive, it would be in this forum.
#74 of 113 Old 01-10-2005, 10:43 AM

My ds just weaned at 5yo. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm happy and sad at the same time.
#75 of 113 Old 01-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace
I did not put ds as I did not get to nurse him as he was tube fed for 16 months but he does ask to nurse and I do allow him. He has no suck so he just puts his mouth to my nipple and squeezes his lips together and he's happy and he's off playing again. Makes me nervous to put that out there but I figure that if anyone would be supportive, it would be in this forum.
You will absolutely get support here! Its great that you're responding to your ds's needs, even if he doesn't know how to suckle!
#76 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 03:02 AM

My ds is 19.5 months and mainly nurses at night and nap times, and a couple times during the day. We want to TTC next month, so it looks like I will be nursing while pregnant and perhaps tandem nursing if he wants to.

Blessed mama of four
::
#77 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 03:09 AM

Well, I voted (ds turned 3 today), but I am no longer certain we will do clw. I believed the LLL when they said most kids naturally wean between 2-4, but I now see that this is absolutely untrue. I can't see "cutting him off," and will continue for a good while longer, but I really don't know that I could continue if he wants to go to 6 or 7 or 8 or older. But then, when he was newborn, I couldn't imagine nursing a 2 or 3 year old!
I hope I don't have to lead, but I have been under enormous pressure for 2 years now and my mom frequently reminds me (she said it once in front of him and I told her she needed to voice these concerns privately) that he could be taken away from me if I don't wean him. So, I am still hanging in here and ds still needs it...I would say he nurses approx. 8x a day, counting night nursing, but of course this varies...
I want to do clw, but I may not be able to.
#78 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Mamamillie, sounds like you can use some encouragement! Just take it one day at a time and don't worry about "how much longer" your little one plans to nurse! All children are different! And remember, your mom already got to make her parenting choices - now its your turn!
#79 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
Well, I voted (ds turned 3 today), but I am no longer certain we will do clw. I believed the LLL when they said most kids naturally wean between 2-4, but I now see that this is absolutely untrue. I can't see "cutting him off," and will continue for a good while longer, but I really don't know that I could continue if he wants to go to 6 or 7 or 8 or older. But then, when he was newborn, I couldn't imagine nursing a 2 or 3 year old!
I hope I don't have to lead, but I have been under enormous pressure for 2 years now and my mom frequently reminds me (she said it once in front of him and I told her she needed to voice these concerns privately) that he could be taken away from me if I don't wean him. So, I am still hanging in here and ds still needs it...I would say he nurses approx. 8x a day, counting night nursing, but of course this varies...
I want to do clw, but I may not be able to.
Goodness Millie... I hope your mom isn't threatening you! You don't think she would report you, do you? If you and Will are not ready to wean, the best thing IMO is to educate her. There's an antropologist who estimates most children would naturally wean between 2.5-7 years old if our cultural barriers didn't get in the way. I think there's some articles on the mothering.com website.

If *you* are personally ready to wean, that's different than feeling like you have to wean out of fear!
#80 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Well, I voted (ds turned 3 today), but I am no longer certain we will do clw. I believed the LLL when they said most kids naturally wean between 2-4, but I now see that this is absolutely untrue.
Just offering some more encouragement. When my ds1 was 3 he was adamant that he would nurse until he was 10. By his estimation he would then be "old enough" to not nurse anymore. I fully believed that this would be the case because he was so very attached to nursing!! Even 3 months ago he was only nursing once a day, but very attached to that nursing. He will be 4 in 3 months and now he doesn't always nurse at bedtime, and even when he does he only latches on for 5-10 seconds.

Like most relationships and transitions with a child nursing will not remain the same forever. Just because your ds is nursing so frequently NOW it does not mean he will nurse that much in a day or a week or a year YK? Just take it one day at a time and continue as long as you are both happy. We personally don't really discuss it anymore. Occasionally people ask if he is still nursing, and I have no problem telling people that I am tandem nursing through pregnancy, but I do not debate or discuss. It is not their business

Also, remember that a nursing relationship is like any other relationship. There will be ups and downs. Occasionally you may need to set new expectations for yourself or your child. Sometimes you just need to grin and bear it through a rough week or two. Sometimes things just go so perfectly that you can't imagine why you ever had a problem. Nothing is set in stone and nothing lasts forever Good luck Mama, and good job meeting your child's needs. He is lucky to have a mama who cares enough to continue in the face of so much pressure!

#81 of 113 Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 PM

My current nursling is 2, but his brother nursed till he was just over 5
I only believe in CLW.
#82 of 113 Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 PM

8 months old. We've got a long way to go.

We decided to CLW when DS was a newborn. Our awesome doula lent me a copy of The Womanly Art, which was the first time I'd encountered the concept. Until then, I'd decidely not decided how long we were going to nurse, I just knew that it wouldn't be less than a year.

I'm glad there's a CLW forum now. I didn't really feel like I could participate much when it was part of EN, since DS is less than a year, even though we're dedicated to CLW. It's good to have a place to discuss CLW even though we're still at a very early part of our journey.
#83 of 113 Old 01-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Banned

GREAT FORUM!

My current CLW'd child just turned 10 months...just NOW is beginning to show interest in some solids, and only IF I mush it onto her highchair table and let HER feed HERSELF by sucking fingers. LOL. Refuses ANY spoons. Sigh. She also nurses ALOT.

My 5 yr old nursed to self weaning at 26 months of age. It was a beautiful experience I am hoping to relive now with current babe. It is amazing to watch it happen...to go from the days of having bad nursing days (Being fed up nursing..we all have them) the pains (sore nipples etc) the moments (when my babies put their feet to my chin while they nurse, carressing me as they nurse) and so on........to watch it slowly but surely end....

I am happy to be here....and to give anyone hugs advice or just an ear as a been there done that CLW mama.
#84 of 113 Old 01-22-2005, 07:33 PM

DS is 18 months, DD is 5 1/2 and says she'll wean when she's 12 "or a teenager"
#85 of 113 Old 01-23-2005, 02:10 PM

Ds is 23.5 months and showing no signs of stopping. I am so proud of us for making it so far and wouldn't dream of taking his nursies away now. It's such a limited time-I'm not ready for it to be over and I'm glad it doesn't look like it will be any time soon.
#86 of 113 Old 01-24-2005, 02:01 AM

My son is 14 months old and shows no signs of weaning. He is not speaking yet. He has just learned to pull at my shirt. I am trying to teach him the sign for milk. So far he prefers to pull at my shirt. He has a birth defect that does not allow him to eat solid food. He is mostly breast fed. He is tube fed breast milk at night and drinks some formula suppliment during the day.
#87 of 113 Old 01-24-2005, 02:54 AM

Welcome Stew!

#88 of 113 Old 01-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

Welcome Stew!

Can I ask what the birth defect is? I hope I am not prying....it's just when you mentioend tube feeding through the night, my nephew was diagnosed with something to where he cannot digest fatty acids and is also tube fed (albiet formula...he was allergic to Breastmilk they said...) at night.....

HUGS
#89 of 113 Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 AM

Hi, I lurk in this forum quite a bit and gain tons of valuable insight and advice from all you wonderful mamas. Now, I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would love anyone's opinion...
An old friend died suddenly yesterday. I haven't been in touch with him in several years (no, not an old boyfriend), but when we did hang out, his friendship meant a lot to me. His funeral will be this weekend, about a 7 hour drive from me and not accessible by plane. My question is this, do I:
A) take my 29 month old nursing DD with me (she would come to the funeral b/c she wouldn't know anyone there so I couldn't leave her with a sitter)
B) leave her with Dad at home for 24 hours -- longest she's ever been w/o me is about 5 hours, and has *never* gone to sleep for anyone but me
C) not go.

DH can't go - he never knew my friend and we own our own business, so he can't leave on short notice, especially since his partner is off this week.

I'm guessing the answer will be "C" as that makes the most sense for DD, though it pains me that I won't be able to be with friends in this sad, sad time. (B is my least favorite answer). BTW, my friend leaves behind a 3 yr old, 2 year old and a wife who's 8 months pregnant. And no, I don't know his wife, but of course feel connected as mothers.
Any advice will be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
#90 of 113 Old 06-04-2005, 07:54 PM

My first thought is "A" but it really depends on your child. My kids spent part of this week at the funeral home (dh's grandma died) and they did a bit of sitting quietly (easier said than done of course), a bit of playing with cousins in the dining room for the grieving family and a bit of running around once the visitors had left.

It worked for us, but might not work for others.

I'm sorry that you've lost a friend.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page