what is clw? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie
I always thought i was CLW. I never thought about it as a term, just that i was letting my child decide when they wanted to wean. Coming to these threads i strongly feel that what i do is not CLW and probably never was.
kirstie, I am confused as to why you would think that you are not child-led weaning because of these threads?

When thinking of the entire breastfeeding journey of a child, from birth all the way to self-weaning, I don't think there is a mother out there who can say that she did not place some kind of breastfeeding limits on her child. If there are any, and this forum was reserved only for them, then I don't think this forum would have very much activity (if any at all).

I hope you will feel welcome here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 PM

Amanda---

That post was *soooo* sweet. Thanks for sharing.

Kay

Old 01-07-2005, 11:08 PM

I just wanted to add, to everyone here.....

There will always be a variety of definitions of CLW ranging from strict to lenient. I have a feeling that it will always confuse some people because people in general seem to like to have a narrow definition of everything (maybe to classify and categorize everyone and everything??). I also have the feeling that some here are not sure if they feel welcome or not, so they are questioning and feeling their way. But child-led weaning is so subjective and personal, it is not fair to yourselves and others to expect one mother's definition to control yours, yk?

I think if mothers come here, though, wanting to have a narrow definition placed on it for them, then they should not balk when others give their own ideal definition. We shouldn't have to walk on eggshells. If a mom is asking, then she should be open to receiving what she gets (and take it or leave it as part of her own ideal).

I think the one thing that is safe to say about child-led weaning is that the child ultimately decides when to wean. (I had to stop myself from tagging on a bunch of assumptions to that because that would be putting my own subjective ideals of it onto others, yeah?)

BTW, I think it's safe to say that the word 'wean' in the context of CLW is actually a healthy word to be celebrated, not one full of anxiety, negativity and stress on either part of mother and/or child.

Over the past years of having one or two very lengthy child-led weaning threads, I have noticed one major thing. There is a tremendous amount of respect and kindness among all of us. We all vary, sometimes we disagree, but we all respect and appreciate one another. (That's why I added on the to my signature, btw). This may sound sappy but through the child-led weaning discussions I have felt a close sisterhood with the many mamas who have shared themselves with me, and who made me feel comfortable and welcome enough to share myself with them. They have supported me through everything, and in turn I support them through everything. Even just to listen and or or just make yourself 'here'. I am thrilled that this forum is here because our numbers will grow and hopefully more mothers will feel that sense of sisterhood and support.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:10 PM

BTW MamaAllNatural
Old 01-07-2005, 11:24 PM

I'm appreciating this thread. I believe in CLW and when DS recently self-weaned at 16 1/2 months, I felt tremendous guilt. I had always thought that children would be more likely be wean themselves after 2 1/2, 3 or later, but certainly not before 2. I am now 27 weeks pg, but I experienced a second drop in supply around 21/22 weeks (the first being when I was about 7/8 weeks pg.) DS is extremely active and only slowed down to nurse at naps and bedtimes. Sometimes I'd offer if he was upset or really snuggly, but rarely would be take me up on that, seemingly content to nurse at sleep times. When I hit that secondary drop, I continued to offer (ie get him in our "nursing position" and expose my breast), but he started refusing. Initially, he'd pull down my shirt to cover my breast and turn away, and then when I'd even START to offer, he'd fuss. After about a week and a half of offering to no avail, I stopped offering, and he didn't seem to care less

It's just so odd that I saw myself tandeming and having DS nurse into toddlerhood with his little sister, and he chose not too. And for some reason I feel guilty. And of course, I'm mourning the end of our nursing relationship...

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:34 PM

mommyofone , don't feel guilty. He may want to start nursing again after the baby is born.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:19 AM

sorry, mother_sunshine, for the confusion. it's great to be able to come to a place and chat with other woman who love to breastfeed and don't think age is an issue (age of nursling). the people i usually come into contact with daily (neighbors, family, coworkers) don't breastfeed. they respect me for what i do, but they don't understand the joys, the bonds, etc. my dh is my biggest supporter, but there are things he doesn't understand even though he tries. seeing the labels "CLW" threw me as i just assumed i was. i see that there are CRW's, MLW's and probably more. i nightweaned 2 of my children which was my choice. so i guess i would be CRW. i'm used to dealing with people who don't nurse (i'm grateful that this nursing board exists), and i know of other mom's who nurse CLW or close to it, but rarely get a chance to see them. Since mainstream does not know what "CLW", "tandem nursing", or "extended nursing", i just tell people i nurse 3. Of course, most people don't realize nursing is breastfeeding.

i will feel welcome here and won't worry about definitions.

User Tag List