A ? for tandem nursers... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2005, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD was 11mos. when I got pregnant and unfourtunately around four months or so my milk did dry up. Somewhere around six or seven months it came back in for a bit then dried up again. Probally around eight months I THINK my colostrum came in, her poop is mushy to newbornish again and I can hear her swallow sometimes. She nursed right through though, comfort I guess. She was on solids, but not well, she has picked that up though. Also, I supplemented, after 12mos. with regular milk. Sometimes she will ask for a "baba", drink two to three ounces of milk, then throw it down and nurse. I cant WAIT for my milk to come back in!

If you are worried about milk drying up and dont want to supplement I'd wait to get pg till shes on solids and drinking from a sippy. Or you could pump a good backup supply now, start early!

edited to add: I dont know about differing opinions on fertility and breastfeeding, but there are plenty of documented facts that most people just don't know about. Heres a good link:

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/dettwyler.html

Yes, its possible to ovulate before you have a period. Personally, I had several cycles that were anovulatory and/or had a very short luteal phase while I was still breastfeeding. Do you chart your fertility signs? I would highly reccomend learning this if you want to truly know and understand your cycle. Not to mention that you are much more in control when you know what's going on.

Heres a good place to start for that:

http://www.tcoyf.com

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 03:14 AM

When I was pregnant my ds every once in a while would detatch and say icky and make a face...when my milk came in with the new baby he fell in love with nursing again. He nursed(es) like a nb, or tries to. LOL His poo is super soft again, and he is waking in the night to nurse. He loves his numnums(or mummums as he says it), and it is nice most of the time.

I am so interested to read about other peoples' toddlers chunking up. I swear just a couple of days ago I was thinking he looks sooo chunky, and I think he probably has gained a few pounds, and I bet it is the milk(I have a TON). So interesting!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 01-08-2005, 10:23 PM

my 1st born has been thru this twice, and the 2nd once. And they were happy campers when the supply went soaring again!

just after my 3rd was born, i gushed some blood and my midwife was worried since the placenta doesn't come that quick (it was my placenta) and she wanted the nursing to start then (to slow the blood loss down). but, dd was too busy looking around to care about nursing so we had to have my oldest jump on. he was so happy to oblige and was even happier that it came out so easy. now, what a lifesaver he would have been if i was having bleeding problem. and dd did nurse contentedly for an hour a half hour after she was born.

my boys did also chunked up but this was before the birth when the colostrum started coming in (i had pretty much dried up in this last pregnancy so i was suprised when ds 1 would tell me that he was starting to get some milk- this was in the last few months). we noticed both boys had gained weight and my dh bragged to everyone that it was due to nursing!

i too would love to see a tandem tribe.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:04 AM

Charlie's eyes got really big that first time nursing after my milk came in, as if he'd forgotten about the milk part. It was so cute.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:10 PM

My son was 30 months old when are other son was born. Our older son gained alot of weight the first few days of nursing but dropped it within a few weeks, other then that there was no reaction to the new milk. I do know that he loves our little baby so much...Tandem Nursing is great.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:55 PM

I was lucky to not lose my milk while I was pregnant, but when it switched to colostrum after the birth, he told me it was just like pop, lol
Old 01-15-2005, 11:50 AM

My daughter was 32 months old when the new baby was born and she was just absolutely THRILLED when my milk came in! She would nurse for a minute, unlatch and say "theres milk" with a big smile on her face. It was really sweet!

I dont know when I started producing colostrum but she never mentioned it at all...

User Tag List