HELP, 16 mo is nursing like crazy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OMGosh....
I know he's getting a few eye teeth & molars but over the last few days................... :LOL
DS is a nursing fool. I'm exhausted.
He started dragging the Boppy pillow to me.... :LOL
He wants to nurse every few hours ??????????
Prior to the last few days, I was just saying to DH that how cool it was that finally I can go shopping a few hours by myself or all of us & DS forgets about nursing for 4+ hrs..
What happened?
We're TTC #2 (we're old too ) so we need all the help we can get.
None of us are sick besides a few little sniffles, nothing @ home has changed.... ???????????????
what's up?

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#2 of 8 Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 PM

Well, make yourself comfortable. :LOL

From my observations, many children hit a low nursing time somewhere around 10-15 months (now, for some kids this means "weaning" and others getting down to just once an hour). Then, around 17-21 months there seems to be a big increase. You might be dealing with something transient, you might be dealing with a more steady increase for a few months.

That said: your 16 month old goes 4 hours?

#3 of 8 Old 01-03-2005, 10:29 PM

Well said, Kay. Mine never went through the lull, but from 16-22 months was like a nursing marathon with both kids. This has been true for everyone I know personally.

I hope someone has some good advice- I sort of "survived" that time but barely.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2005, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

yes, if we were out Xmas shopping, etc... I guess it was keeping him busy. At home, we could go 3-4 hrs sometimes.
I also told DH that he never went thru a "strike"

ok. I guess it's normal. I thought it might be a growth spurt.

He's even doing it @ night - yawn

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#5 of 8 Old 01-04-2005, 12:40 AM

My 15 month old is just getting over a 2-week throwing up/diarrhea spree and has been nursing almost constantly - no kidding - for the past 2 or three days. She's even nursing almost through the night and her naps. I'm hoping this will abate soon, because I'm wiped out and my breasts are getting really sore.

Even apart from that, though, she still nurses a lot. I vascillate between feeling good about that and being nervous that it's because I'm not providing a good enough and substantial enough diet for her otherwise. I'm also starting to get funny looks from friends who are nervous that I'm going to keep nursing for 'too long'.

This is all normal though, right? She will eventually nurse less? It's not because I don't feed her well enough?
#6 of 8 Old 01-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
This is all normal though, right? She will eventually nurse less?
Totally normal.

I'm willing to guarantee she will eventually nurse less (and eventually wean altogether).

DD was probably 95% bfed at 15 months (when she started getting into food) and was fully weaned at 50 months. She was definately a high needs nurser as an infant, too. I have witnessed many many nurslings, and know no personally who went much past five (as in five years and some months).

#7 of 8 Old 01-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Oh noooo. Polka I can relate. DD is 17 mos and she's been doing the same exact thing! I feel like I have a newborn on my hands (or rather breast). Housework? None has been done in weeks. I have a strong feeling that at least with my dc it's b/c she's teething. Thankfully, teething is temporary :LOL

Well, guess who's tugging at my shirt as we speak? Sigh. Just remember, they don't usually bf through High School

Hang in there, this is very normal.
#8 of 8 Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
Oh noooo. Polka I can relate. DD is 17 mos and she's been doing the same exact thing! I feel like I have a newborn on my hands (or rather breast). Housework? None has been done in weeks. I have a strong feeling that at least with my dc it's b/c she's teething. Thankfully, teething is temporary :LOL

Well, guess who's tugging at my shirt as we speak? Sigh. Just remember, they don't usually bf through High School

Hang in there, this is very normal.
:LOL :LOL :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page