Such nastiness... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I perform in a band on the weekends, and since Jordan is still nursing, I bring my pump to every gig and do my thang during our breaks. During our NYE gig, some people who follow our band said to me, "So...you are still doing that, huh?"

I said, "Yup. It's good to the last drop."

Then they said, "Well, you are going to have one heck of a time trying to wean her."

I said, "No, I won't. SHE is going to lead the weaning process."

They said, "So what are you going to do? Visit her during lunch when she enters first grade?"

I said, "Yes, and I have already made that arrangement with her future teacher. What are you doing? Writing a book for busybodies?"

I should have asked her if she was going to switch diets since the see-food plan was obviously not working for her.

But I am waaaay too nice for that. :LOL

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 03:56 PM

AAAHHHH! :
Why can't people just mind their own damn business?
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything! Right?!
#3 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Too bad that had to happen but I'm glad you were there with a good comeback...okay people mind your own business!
#4 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 04:28 PM

It's annoying when people judge rather than try to understand. I mean, I know many people actually don't know that breastmilk is so good for so long, but to immediately assume there's something wrong with extended (or not) breastfeeding is ignorant.

Don't let it bother you! You know you're doing the absolute best thing for your little one's nutrition!
#5 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM

I would say "why would I want to wean her? she'll be done when she's done".

People like that are not worth getting worked up about.
I like how you handled it.
#6 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneWe
I would say "why would I want to wean her? she'll be done when she's done".

People like that are not worth getting worked up about.
I like how you handled it.
Actually, I have said just that on many occasions. I have even said *gasp* that I enjoy nursing her. NO ONE can have the bond with her that I do. NO. ONE.

#7 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I should have asked her if she was going to switch diets since the see-food plan was obviously not working for her.
:LOL OMG that is sooo funny!

I think you did an awesome job and you have inspired me!
#8 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 05:49 PM

I read your post, looked at Jordan's birthdate, and my jaw dropped ... she's still a baby!!! (I'm nursing a 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old and still consider my 2.5 year old a young nursling!)

Great comeback!

Me? I usually answer that type of question with a huge smile and an overly enthusiastic, "YES! Isn't it WONDERFUL!" and sometimes go on to gush about all the benefits of our nursing relationship. It's great to see the look (usually of shock or embarrasment or confusion) on their faces after getting that answer to their question. I find it amusing.

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#9 of 24 Old 01-04-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
They said, "So what are you going to do? Visit her during lunch when she enters first grade?"

I said, "Yes, and I have already made that arrangement with her future teacher. What are you doing? Writing a book for busybodies?"
#10 of 24 Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"First grade? If I work it right I can nurse her right up till she moves out for college!" :LOL
#11 of 24 Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, if you were going to make this comment to point out her fatness, then I'm sure the see-food diet was working for her so you should compliment her on its effectiveness.

In the past I've told my mom that I was going to nurse my child until all her teeth came in. My mom asked, "Doesn't she have most of her teeth now?" I said, "Oh, but those are just the MILK teeth, I mean when all her adult teeth come in."
#12 of 24 Old 01-06-2005, 03:33 AM

if only we all could deal with busybodies as well as you did!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#13 of 24 Old 01-06-2005, 04:07 AM

Good job Kirsten!!!!

You were really on your toes! My favorite comebacks are always the outrageous ones though like -

" I will nurse him until he grows a moustache...that would tickle"

" I plan on nursing him at least through college. It will totally help him when he has tests"

and the most outrageous one I read on here once said something to the effect that " I will let him nurse and sleep with me until he moves on to someone else like his girlfriend" OMG.....I couldn't stop laughing when I read that one!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

#14 of 24 Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 PM

It is so hard when people are really nosy and rude like this, but I think it is because people don't realize that a child will NOT nurse forever, even if allowed to, or even "encouraged". The need will be filled, and it will go away. I think that people think that children will "never" wean if they are not forcibly assisted, just like they think if they don't CIO they will "never" sleep at night. : I wish there was some way to make it common knowledge what the normal weaning age range is, and that even were a child still nursing in first grade (and I have known someone who did this IRL) you don't have to come to school to do it. By that time they are plenty old enough to wait until they get home! :LOL Seriously, though, it is just complete ignorance. that is no excuse for rude behaviour, though!
#15 of 24 Old 01-06-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker'smommy
Good job Kirsten!!!!

You were really on your toes! My favorite comebacks are always the outrageous ones though like -

" I will nurse him until he grows a moustache...that would tickle"

" I plan on nursing him at least through college. It will totally help him when he has tests"

and the most outrageous one I read on here once said something to the effect that " I will let him nurse and sleep with me until he moves on to someone else like his girlfriend" OMG.....I couldn't stop laughing when I read that one!
:LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL

#16 of 24 Old 01-07-2005, 04:59 AM

I haven't gotten any really intrusive comments...yet(she's only 2!)...but when people have expressed an iota of scepticism, I usually make a comment about nursing her until she moves out to go to college...and then I comment on how actually, when she becomes an addult, i hope she'll choose to stay in the household as a roommate...and they sort of laugh nervously and slink away... :LOL
#17 of 24 Old 01-08-2005, 03:09 AM

Why are people so weird about nursing? Before I even had a baby I heard so many people say "Once the baby gets teeth, forget it!" They say it in such a snide tone. Maybe they are uncomfortable with the idea because it involves BREASTS? I just don't understand why so many people have opinions and judgements about things that just don't concern them.
#18 of 24 Old 01-09-2005, 12:57 AM

Wow...if only I could come up with comebacks on the spot like that. Usually I think of it a half an hour later or something. :LOL

Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#19 of 24 Old 01-09-2005, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella
Why are people so weird about nursing? Before I even had a baby I heard so many people say "Once the baby gets teeth, forget it!" They say it in such a snide tone.
What's scary about that comment for me, is that my 7 month old already has 7 teeth! If my plan had been to stop when he got teeth, well, I'd have to be re-thinking that plan...
#20 of 24 Old 01-10-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
That is too funny. I can't wait to take that picture!
#21 of 24 Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM

I just remembered one time I was at the Ped when DS was around somewhere between 10-15 months old, and the nurse asked "how much longer are you going to nurse him?" and I said "oh, he should be done in five or ten minutes".

It wasn't until I left that I realized that she meant "how much longer" as if he was too old already to be nursing!

I think I'll use the 5-10 minutes response again if it comes up even now.
#22 of 24 Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2threenurslings
I read your post, looked at Jordan's birthdate, and my jaw dropped ... she's still a baby!!! (I'm nursing a 2.5 year old and 4.5 year old and still consider my 2.5 year old a young nursling!)
I agree. My daughter is just a day older than yours. They are still babies for crying out loud! Geesh!

One thing that my LLL leader told me that sort of worked on my mom was that "the weaning process actually begins the moment that you feed your child anything other than breastmilk. Weaning isn't something that necessarily happens overnight. It can be a very long process for some children."

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#23 of 24 Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenne
That is too funny. I can't wait to take that picture!
You and me both!!!!

#24 of 24 Old 01-14-2005, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneWe
I just remembered one time I was at the Ped when DS was around somewhere between 10-15 months old, and the nurse asked "how much longer are you going to nurse him?" and I said "oh, he should be done in five or ten minutes".

It wasn't until I left that I realized that she meant "how much longer" as if he was too old already to be nursing!

I think I'll use the 5-10 minutes response again if it comes up even now.
:LOL :LOL :LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page