She weaned and I have such mixed feelings! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, I wanted to say thanks to all of you who have unknowingly supported and encouraged me to continue nurse my toddler through the tough times just by your posting here. There were a number of times that my daughter's hit-n-run nursing, her constant rubbing of my eye-brow while nursing , or my own stresses really made me want to give it all up. And I admit there were times that I asked my daughter if she was ready to quit. Of course she said no. And I always gave into her requests, even if it was asking her to wait for awhile.

Well, apparently she has decided she is done. She nursed a couple of times at my MIL's house over the holidays, only when she was feeling really tired and was fighting an illness. But I encouraged her to nurse and am so glad that I did. But since we've been home, she hasn't nursed. She's battling a pretty bad sinus infection and I've felt rather impotent to help her. But I've talked to her about nursing and she isn't sad about giving it up. She was just ready. I held her last night and told her how glad I was that she had gotten "milkies" for so long, how proud I was to be her mommy and how proud I was of her, that I loved being able to give her milkies and if she changed her mind and wanted to nurse again, that was fine. She just smiled and hugged me.

I thought I would secretly feel relieved when I wasn't nursing anymore, but a significant part of me is mourning the loss of that relationship. I'm always going to be glad that I let HER be the one to make the decision to end that part of her childhood, though. I know my own grief and regret would be multiplied 10-fold if I had forced her to wean before she was ready.

So, thanks ladies! The support you provide here is helping a lot of people that you'll probably never hear from. Those moms and their children are grateful, though. Keep up the good fight!
#2 of 8 Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 PM

#3 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 AM

#4 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 05:29 AM

p.s. the link in your sig no worky.
#5 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba
Well, darn! It works for me! I know the first day I put it up it wasn't working because I had stupidly chosen to not list the site publically and had accidentally made it by invitation only. Another person (not an MDCer) said yesterday that could get to it now. I'll have to figure out what the problem is.

I read your post about Shosh just a little while after I posted this thread. I hope she is feeling better! We were in NY for about two weeks and then I've been swamped with life since we returned home, so I was MIA around here for awhile. Of course last night Anna also asked to nurse and did so for about a minute--she's trying to make me crazy! Funny little kid. If she'll just nurse a bit longer and get us through the winter I'd be so thrilled.
#6 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Works for me

#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
Works for me
Yea!! Thanks, Kay!
#8 of 8 Old 01-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page