toddler scratching while bfing!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-08-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dd (16mo) is addicted to picking at a mole above my right breast. it hurts!!! she has made it bleed from picking at it so much. i have tried to cut her nails...but her fingers are so tiny and it still hurts!
also, i have tried covering the mole with bandaids - but she pulls them off...even those super-sticky water resistant ones! it isn't so bad when i am awake, b/c i can distract her and tell her "that hurts mommy." anyway, at night is when it is simply driving me partially crazy! she is asleep and picking at it and nursing at the same time. i can't sleep while she is nursing now b/c of her picking. which means i'm not getting much sleep! ugh!
does anyone have any advice on what to do. i have resigned to put my free arm around my chest and keep her away from it...but this wakes her up and makes her mad. ugh! don't know what to do!!! i've even considered having it taken off!!
sorry this is really, really, really whiney...but i'm so tired of it!!!
-kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Aw man, sounds painful! Ds just now pinched my nipple through my shirt trying to pull himself into my lap so I'm literally feeling your pain. LOL

I wish I had some advice, it's hard to deal with something like that when you're sleeping. I personally only nurse ds on one side at night, it took a little bit for my supply to adjust. I alternate sides during the day and only feed him on the right side at night (been doing that since he was a few months old). Maybe you could try that, at least you'd only have to guard your mole during the day when you're awake to do so! Perhaps someone has better advice that that!

Old 01-08-2005, 02:01 PM

No suggestions, just empathy. My almost 2 yr old has developed the habit of pinching or slapping my breast while she's nursing. Nighttime would be harder to deal with. In the day, I put her down if she won't stop.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:56 PM

I hear you exactly. i have a large skin tag under my arm and my older child used to pick at it while nursing and both of my children pinch while nursing. I am wondering if maybe you could keep it covered with clothing, like part of your bra? I have also had to resort to wrapping a blanket around her to keep her from getting her arm up and even using my sling to keep her hands away from me.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:36 PM

My 16 mo does the same thing - pinchy pinchy scratch scratch is his routine. Sometimes it just drives my bonkers!!! He also does it when falling asleep, and sometimes while in the sling.

I feel for you, mama, and wish I had some advise!

Wife, Mom, Health Services Researcher
Uno ('03) Dos ('08) and Tres (Aug '10)
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 21 month old was driving me nuts with this. I didn't know if it would work this late in the game, but I got a cool nursing necklace (simple stone circle) from UBB, and let her know it was her "special" necklace, that nobody else could touch it, etc. It has worked for over 2 weeks, I think it's going to stick. She's completely transferred her attachment to it. Hurrah! Anyway, something to try (or try again).
Old 01-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Why do I never remember to recommend trying a nursing necklace?! I may be in need of one myself soon, anytime I'm wearing a shirt with a lower neckline he wants to pull his whole arm down my shirt! :LOL

ps- hi Melissa! I remember seeing ya back when we were both preggers and due in April 03... congrats on your pregnancy!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies...nice to know my dd isn't the only one out there who likes to scratch her mommy while nursing! it is funny how obsessed she is over my mole.
anyway, think i'll try the nursing necklace b/c i cut my mole off. hee...heee...
any suggestions on where to buy one? was thinking about making one too...we'll see if that happens!
thanks,
kate
Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 PM

I had that problem with dd, she would pick at a skin tag (I hate those nasty things). I had them all removed... would that be an option? I know it's a little different, but it would clear up your problem!
Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:38 AM

i swear my ds's fight over the left breast so they can twiddle on the 3 moles that are there on my side. at least they don't pick at them anymore.

holding their hand helps out a lot (the hand that does the twiddling-or in your case, picking). i got into the holding hands when they went through a stage where they'd whack at each other.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:40 PM

:
Sorry...I was coming here to post the SAME thing. My 24mo picks at my mole (that's on my left breast- her favorite) ALL the time & it's driving me NUTS!!!
I will go find a nursing necklace somewhere online NOW...and then : hopefully someone will have more suggestions...'cause I'm about ready to wean DD...I'm not getting any sleep (although, it's not just the mole-obsession, she wants to nurse ALL the time for WAY too long at ech sitting.)

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

User Tag List