Does your older tandem nurser eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a one week old and a 22 month old. Since my milk came back he's become the glutton nurser- which is totally fine. But he hasn't really eaten any food. Is this normal? I figure its just a phase while he makes sure he's still my baby too, and I'm sure the breastmilk will sustain him - he's actually getting quite pudgy. I just never thought he would stop eating completely.

How long do you think it will go on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 12:54 AM

The same thing happened to my oldest when her little brother was born. All she wanted to do was nurse. I think that she was happy to have the supply back in full force. She was also 22 months old at the time and for us it was difinitely a phase that only lasted a few weeks.
#3 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 01:04 AM

I've tandem nursed twice, and this happened with both of mine. Think about the taste fo unpasturized, fresh cow's milk (if you've had the pleasure -- heavenly) with the cream shaken in. Add some sugar, plus the yummy goodness fo taking it straight from mama's tap. Yum! Why on earth would I bother eating anything else when I have an unlimited source of that!?

But for me it was just way too much exclusively nursing an almost 2 and a baby. I cut way back and limited breastmilk like a dessert, for after meals, when I was exhausted and becoming anemic. With my first it wasn't such a big deal but caring for 3 little ones plus full time nursing of 2 was just too much for me this last time. For a while we were only nursing at bedtime, my choice not his, though it wasn'ta steadfast "rule" or anything.

There's a great tandem nursing book whose title evades me at this moment; if you can find the time it's worth reading. Title? Anyone?
#4 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 AM

My Peyton was also 22 months when her baby sister was born. She went back to only nursing for about 2-3 weeks. She still prefers breastmilk to food. And Jadyn is 10.5 months old

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#5 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 02:26 AM

I think that the name of the book is Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flower(sp?). I rented it from the library but I know that LLL also sells it. I wish that I had read it sooner.
#6 of 7 Old 01-10-2005, 05:19 AM

My 25 month old ds has not been eating much until this week(dd is 4 weeks old), he has gotten very chunky(just grew out of his formerly roomy 3T pants!!). The one thing I have to say is to try to keep an eye on the eating thing. I am not 100% sure that this is what happened to Sam, but there were two days in particular where he only had breastmilk all day(his choice), then at dinnertime ate very quickly("real" food)...in the middle of the night he threw up. I was thinking it was a shock to his system...having only liquids then scarfing solid foods. Has anyone else had this happen?
debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#7 of 7 Old 01-15-2005, 10:56 AM

I dont know how long it will go on in your case, but the same thing happened to me with my DD, Paityn. She was 32 months old when the next baby, Naiya, came along and since I had milk again, she apparently didnt see the need to dine on anything else.

Naiya is 3.5 months old now and Paityn is JUST NOW starting to eat again - only because I am limiting the times when she can breastfeed. Exclusively nursing a 3 month old and 3 year old was just too much for me and I was really starting to resent the amount that Paityn was nursing when she couldve been eating a little food and not felt so hungry all the time.

Anyways, its going better now that shes starting to eat again and I feel really happy with my choice to cut back to a few times a day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page