Am I ready? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: I am not sure if I am ready to continue nursing until they self wean. I mean, they are 4.4 and still going strong. Anywhere from 1-8 times a day per child. We still nurse for sleep as well but have stopped night nursing unless illness.
I have read two threads in this forum tonight and I have to be honest, I am not sure I can go on until they are 5 or more. I mean YIKES!!! That is a long long long time.

Ok, talk me down mama's.
Talk me down.please
#2 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 11:19 AM

All I can tell you is that they WILL slow down and eventually stop!

ETA: BTW, my ds slowed down to bedtime-only (for the most part) sometime after turning 4. Since he's turned 5 (less than 2 months ago), he's begun skipping several days between nursings.
#3 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 AM

#4 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM

charmarty: You never know what the future holds. DD was about your girls' age when one night, she rolled over while I read a chapter book to her, murmured, tell me if there's any pictures, and fell asleep without nursing. I was dumbfounded...now, she went back to it, but soon it became off and on, then she was not asking to nurse during the day excpet when horribly upset (so, like 2x a day LOL!)
By 5, the old frequent pattern was completely broken, and we started seeing periods when she would go long times (ie, weeks) without nursing. So nursing at 5 CAN be different than nursing at 4. Of course, disclaimer time, results will vary.
One variable with you is that there are 2...some moms of twins find that one is much less interested and weans faster, others don't. I wonder if the scenario many moms of older nurslings have noticed plays with your girls: the LLL meeting phenomenon. Del would always ask at meetings, even if she hadn't nursed all month. Seeing all those OTHER happy nurslings triggered the desire in her. Your girls always have that visual aid, kwim?

Anyway, good luck in your journey. Mary
#5 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 PM

Try not to think of the future. Nursing will decrease gradually, with ups and downs. You will just psych yourself out thinking about "how long", especially when nursing seems so constant and you are feeling exhausted.

Try to stay in the present and take it one day at a time. Enjoy every moment without anticipation of what the future holds.

That is how it worked for us anyway. We took it one year at a time. If someone would have foreseen dd nursing until she did, I probably would have freaked out because it does seem "so long" if you are nowhere near there yet. It gets so much easier.
#6 of 6 Old 01-11-2005, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

I like the "you don't know what the future holds" That speaks to me mama's. thank you!!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page